Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Ringwood Town 30-Sep-23


Ringwood’s keeper was forced into a diving save only a minute into the game as Shepherd shook off his marker and tried a shot from the edge of the box.

Pressure continued. Ringwood was on the back foot in this settling in period. It cracked though after 10 minutes. A Lowe’s free kick was kicked off the line. Carswell picked up the clearance on the edge of the box and an unstoppable volley made it 1-0

Broad created space with a good run but a McWilliams effort flew over the bar. A telling Smith tackle stopped Ringwood’s counter but had to give away a corner. Pope headed clear but the ball dropped for a Ringwood shot. Richardson’s block was enough to divert the ball to safety.

18 gone and a McWilliams Richardson link split Ringwood’s mid field. Danvers went free to deliver a low cross into the penalty area. Hockey followed in to score his first goal of the session. 2-0

We had several chances of increasing our score line during the following ten minutes and should have a couple more, Ringwood rallied as we stalled, and some good football took them into our third. On 33 minutes they broke through and scored a good goal to make it 2-1.

From the re start Ringwood pressed forward. A cross from the edge of the area was gathered by Mitchell. A punt and Shepherd collected to round his marker and try an angled shot. The keeper’s boot deflected the ball, in swept McWilliams to try his luck. Defenders blocked his shot on the line and after a scramble cleared the ball high and wide.

On 34 minutes an Ollie Lowes injury meant Dave Kerr making a return to action and slight shuffle to our line up. We hadn’t settled properly so 4 minutes later suffered a harsh decision of a penalty when a cross into the box hit Danvers arm. 2-2.

Despite now a lot of Ringwood pressure the whistle went without further score board alterations.

Half Time 2-2

Only 30 seconds had elapsed when we gave away a free kick 25 yards out. Carswell dropped into defence winning a header to clear. The ball was pumped back into the box. A scramble followed. Kerr stepped in to hammer the ball upfield making sure of clearing any danger.

Our early qualities seemed to have disappeared. We had a laxity creeping in and it was evident doses of Imodium was needed by management.

The game dipped in quality giving way to petty fouls. Danvers chewed grass a few times trying to open up the left hand side and Shepherd needs to endorse his shirt with his phone number to save markers time in trying to attract his attention.

We perked up a bit half way through the half and pushed on. Hockey went close with a shot and a McWilliams effort shaved the cross bar with the keeper beaten.

27 – King came on for Broad.

32 gone. Danvers marauding on the left cut into the area and was felled. Up stepped Shepherd to claim a hard earned winning goal. 3-2

Petty fouls and Physios attention meant 52 minutes on the clock before the whistle.

The last 10 minutes were nail biters but a strong resilience gave us the points.

Result 3-2.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster