Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs New Milton Town 23-Sep-23


A brisk start saw Richardson floored by a hefty tackle and New Milton’s clearance from the free kick landing just outside our box. Mitchell raced out to clear a dangerous break.

New Milton pressed hard. Mid field territory was contested. Smith and Danvers were busy but winning their individual battles.

Then with only 8 minutes gone we surrendered space. A long ball found an unmarked runner …0-1. 2 minutes later a similar situation but this time the ball fortunately soared over the bar.

12 minutes into the game we woke up. Shepherd’s great individual run took him into the box and a clinical finish made it 1-1.

It was to be Shepherd’s day. 14 minutes and a hasty goalkeeper clearance fell just on the edge of the area. Shepherd chested it down and a clear view of goal meant a 2-1 score line.

We controlled possession and with 20 minutes gone, a Carswell McWilliams exchange finished with the keeper diverting McWilliams volley for a corner. Richardson won the header leaping like a legless gazelle to put the ball beyond the keeper’s reach . 3-1.

New Milton’s counters were dangerous but we had a solid defence plus a Mitchell’s on form day.

15 minutes to go of the first half and a NM free kick 25 yards out was fisted clear by Mitchell. Shepherd collected and a sweeping pass found McWilliams free on the left. A run and shot was beaten out. McWilliams followed in and put an angled shot into the bottom corner. 4-1.

We should have had 5 by the whistle but some stout defending in New Milton’ area kept the score line unchanged on the whistle.

Half Time. 4-1

We continued where we left off. On the attack. King had a shot deflected off the line. NM cleared the corner.

We pushed on. Passing wasn’t as accurate as it could have been and a ball given away in the middle was hammered low into the box. Mitchell palmed a sot onto the post and Smith was on hand to follow up and clear.

10 gone and another NM counter was cut out by Broad. An excellent through ball found Shepherd in space. A left foot shot made it 5-1.

No heads dropped in the New Milton team. They kept up a good energy level but we were well on top.

11 gone and McWilliams beat defender’s and the keeper only to see his effort hit the post and bounce clear.

13… Shepherd raced free following a Danvers run on the left. Cutting across the box a low shot beat an advancing keeper to make it 6-1.

14 Lowes came off to give Bragginton minutes. Richardson made way for Pope.

NM were now totally reliant on long ball clearances and with 27 minutes gone benefitted from a languid defence….6-2.

Davis made a welcome return to replace King on 30 minutes. Danvers pushed up as Davis slotted in to left back.

A rampaging Broad had a shot from the edge of the box but straight down the keeper’s throat. A palmed clearance fell to McWilliams. 7-2.

10 minutes left and a gutsy NM hit back. Good attacking football took them into our box. 7 shots were on target. Mitchell beat out two point blank shots and deflected an angled shot as NM peppered the goal. Danvers Orchard and Davis gave a helping hand before Orchard cleared high and wide.

3 minutes left and another attack was blocked by Orchard, his through ball fell for McWilliams to gather on the edge of the area. McWilliams made no mistake with a shot into the bottom corner and claiming his hat trick. 8-2.

Result 8-2

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster