Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town bvs Andover Town 30-Oct-21


Before kick off we were 4th in the table with Andover 5th.

The opening salvo was ours. Davies won a corner following a low cross that was deflected. An inswinger was part cleared. Guthrie collected slid past a defender and fed Davies on the flank. A high ball on to the far post was cleared. Hall won the tussle and put the ball back on the flank. Davies chipped over defenders for Osman. The scramble in the box could have gone either way but a huge boot cleared the ball upfield. It gave O’Connor a chance to dirty his boots.

It was a good fast paced start with possession a high percentage in our favour.

Cooper’s good feet took him clear of his marker and a chip to the edge of the Andover box was just a bit too far for Osman.

Andover gradually got into their stride and both Elsom and Lister were busy curtailing central attacks.

Two very good flank players brought excellent defending from both Webber and Danvers. It was Danvers who broke the pressure half way through the half winning the ball and then coasting into Andover’s third before setting up Osman. Osman’s marker made sure Osman tested the turf.

On 25 minutes Lister steered the ball left for Davies. Back to Webber a defence splitting pass for Guthrie and then Guthrie’s turn to check the grass. Penalty. Vining made no mistake hammering the ball into the bottom corner. 1-0.

28 minutes and a slight easing through the middle allowed half a chance. It was enough. 1-1.

Hand bags were out. Guthrie suffered an ankle tap but then got a yellow for a tackle on the perpetrator. Hall followed Guthrie with a yellow earned for another strong tackle.

Andover’s pressure mounted with some good flowing football. Elsom Lister Danvers and Webber earned their stripes with quality defending.

Half Time 1-1

Powis started the second half in place of Vining.

Andover’s attacking flair was full on as they pushed us back in our third. O’Connor was busy but safe.

We picked up again half way through the half. Guthrie sent Osman free but a topped shot was easily handled by the keeper.

We went behind on 15 minutes when a player was allowed to ghost through and a low cross from the edge of the area was headed past O’Connor from 2 yards.

We looked a bit disjointed for a while but the spirit of the side was tops. No heads dropped and we forced play into Andover’s third.

Danvers and Webber were able to overlap and a series of crosses were scrambled out.

17 minutes gone and we got what we deserved. Another good piece of football and Osman squared across the box. Davies whipped the ball past the keeper making it 2-2.

The game flowed end to end. No laxatives were needed for those on the benches.

48 on the clock and Fisher made his debut replacing Osman. Fisher was immediately in action with a great run down our right and chipping a good cross into the area. A big boot cleared on the whistle.

Result 2-2.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster