Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Poole Town 01-Sep-20


Russ Dyer’s first touch was to rob a runner heading towards the bye line and sparked off an immediate counter punting the ball for Evans. A defender won the race heading clear. Not a bad opening in the first minute of the game.

3 minutes another Poole Town raid had us back pedaling and this time it was Elsom tackling hard to come away with the ball. Good feet rounded an opponent and freed Hall. Hall’s ball wide left was inch perfect giving Nicolson space. An excellent cross dropped in the box but a hefty boot cleared the danger upfield. We got caught napping and after three and a half minutes found ourselves 0-1 down !!!

We spluttered. Watkins saved further embarrassment with a timely tackle on his flank and despite a quick counter through Butler and Evans the ball was pumped back into our third. A gap appeared giving space for a run on goal. 0-2. We were a bit deflated but no heads dropped and we proved we had character on the night that was missing in the Christchurch game.

Zanin chased and harried the Poole Town backs and deservedly won the ball in midfield. Butler raced to win Zanins through ball but was just beaten to it. A long clearance another open run but Elsom tracked the runner and made a great tackle but punished by the ref earning Poole Town a penalty. 0-3.

A slap, but only a minute later we were treated to a very determined reaction with Evans going wide and cutting the ball back to the edge of the box. In stepped Butler to force his way through a couple of tackles and sliding the ball past the keeper to reduce arrears. 1-3.

We continued to fight back and on 29 minutes Zanin dummied his marker to deliver a cross into the area. Nicolson steamed in and a left foot volley made it 2-3.

Defensively we had tightened up and a solid performance from Kelly and Elson blocked the middle. Dyer and Watkins commanded the flanks but a slice of luck for Poole on their right gave space for a low cross. A clinical shot made it 2-4.

Half Time 2-4

Dyer and Evans made way for Maddocks and Vining at half time.

Poole were out of their blocks immediately but we were more alert than in the first half and Lynch took a high ball quickly sending Vining away. A neat header over his marker and Vining spurted for goal. A full back’s last ditch tackle stopped Vining claiming his reward.

Maddocks’ terrier like instincts earned him a yellow card as the battle for midfield developed.

Lynch punched a high cross clear whilst under pressure. Hall picking up the clearance sent Nicolson free. Nicolson’s low cross was gathered by the keeper as Vining’s predator style instincts hovered.

We were now pressing and unlucky not to score as Parslow’s cross was inched past the post by Vining.

Taylor and Maddocks linked with minutes to go and split the Poole defence leaving Smith to deliver a rasping shot that went slightly wide.

Result 2-4

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster