Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report United Services Verwood Town vs Stockbridge 26-Nov-2011


There was a confident feeling in the squad after a good performance against Brockenhurst last week. Evans still basking in his Man of the Match award for Brockenhurst gave assurance that he would try for man of the match for Verwood this week.

20 seconds only and Dyer tried a 30 yarder. The keeper didn't need to move as it flew straight into his arms. A throw left and a long ball found a runner but out came Lynch to hammer the ball back again into Stockbrige half. For a few minutes the crowd had stiff necks as they watched an aerial display.

Elysee almost broke the mould with a run down the right but his cross was well watched and cleared high into the middle of the park.

2 minutes later Elysee picked up a loose ball just outside the area and tried a shot. The keeper watched it safely over the bar.

We were enjoying more possession half way through the half and the calming influence of Delaney had a marked affect on the quality of defending. Webb and Dyer worked hard to command the middle and some good football gave Gajic and Haskell room to try their luck.

22 minutes constant pressure brought its reward when Haskell chested a ball down and Gajic followed in to half hit a ball that fooled the keeper and full back to bounce into the net. 1-0.

Stockbridge hit back forcing a corner. Lynch made a good catch under pressure and sent a high ball for Homer to chase. Homer's pace was enough to take him past the first defender but was blocked from shooting 10 yards out.

Wilson had come on for an unwell Dear and with 3 minutes of the half remaining shadowed a right flank raid and then made a brilliant tackle to stop further progress.

Half Time 1-0

51 minutes and Gajic ran across the face of the back four finally cutting into the edge of the box. A delightful threaded ball to Haskell looked a definite second but the linesman became the most unpopular visitor by flagging Haskell offside. It was remarkable how many options the crowd gave the linesman in what to do with his flag.

12 minutes and Haskell turned his defender and fired a low volley. The keeper scrambled the ball away for a corner. In came an inswinger and another scramble followed before the ball took off like a NASA space shot.

Stockbridge gradually turned the game. Our passing deteriorated and we lost football quality. Luckily our defence held firm and Lynch was always in command of his box.

Stockbridge played the better football and gained the upper hand in midfield. The close tackling we had provided in the first half went for a ball and chalk. We gradually found ourselves pushed further back on the edge of the area.

It looked as if it would only be a matter of time before we would be picking the ball out of the net and had it not been for a very good defensive display from Delaney Kelly Evans Wilson and Lynch we could have been a couple of goals down.

We gave away too many balls and Stockbridge flourished. Good running, first into the ball and every second ball had their name on it.

We tried to get back into the game but frustration had set in and it was a case of desperation at the back some times as Stockbridge pressed forward.

There was always hope that we would catch them on the break and had Homer had a bit more luck we could have gone two up as a rasping shot flew inches wide of the foot of the post.

Gajic had a crack at a flying seagull but it was with a sigh of relief that the whistle went on 3 points


© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster