Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Blandford Town 15-Jul-23


Match played at Blandford School, 3G pitch)

Luckily Phillips was still awake when we kicked off. Blandford’s first effort was straight from the kick off with a long ball and runner. A shot on the run was on target but Phillips handling was spot on. A ball wide should have put us on the attack but we were still in the dressing room. An interception, another long ball but this time Phillips had no chance with a rising shot hitting the back of the net.

2 minutes gone and 0-1. !!!! Lesson learned. ??

We looked lethargic. Blandford benefited from the casual start and pressed hard.

Orchard Pope McHale and Broad came under intense pressure as Blandford dominated possession. We survived.

It took 15 minutes before we rallied. Kimber in a central role took the eye with good vision and sparked a move when spotting McHale in space. McHale cut inside and let in McWilliams for our first forage. A good cross and McCrow was inches short of connecting with the ball 6 yards out.

Blandford looked dangerous on the break but we had developed an adrenalin surge and gradually gained the upper hand.

An ever alert Shepherd capitalised on a defensive blunder and robbing the ball whipped an unstoppable volley past an advancing keeper. 1-1. 26 minutes gone.

McHale and Storey let in Farndell a couple of minutes later but Farndell’s effort went wide influenced by a gusting wind.

McHales run down the left was halted by a strong tackle resulting in the ref giving a free kick. McHale swung the ball into the penalty area. A deflection saw it hit the post. McWilliams took the opportunity to grab his first goal of the season slipping he ball past the keeper into the bottom corner. 2-1.

Half Time. 2-1

Smith came on for Pope in our first change and a slight shuffle of the pack resulted in a good move down the left with McHale chipping the ball across the box finding Shepherd. A good turn and volley deserved a goal but the keeper made a brilliant save near the post.

We were leaving gaps when pushing up and a Blandford counter could have resulted in an early leveller but for Orchard’s strong tackle on the runner.

12minutes in and both Kimber and Farndell made way for Ponder and Braggington.

We were now enjoying greater possession. Broad was finding time to join attack and working with McWilliams split the Blandford defence with an inch perfect pass finding Smith. A daisy cutter of a shot clipped the bottom of the post and went for dead.

17 gone and on came Kerr for Broad.

Braggington’s cross on 22 was inches too far for Shepherds size 14’s to connect.

5 minutes to go and Shepherd worked the ball past defenders and made it 3-1 with a low shot into the bottom corner.

Scoring hadn’t finished.

Blandford took advantage of a brief lapse of concentration on 46 minutes to make it 3-2 on the whistle.

Result. 3-2. .

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster