Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Folland Sports vs Verwood Town 12-Dec-20


Follands lying third in the table and developing a formidable home record hosted us with an early kick off of 14.00 hrs.

Anderton was first to feel the determination of the home sides desire to grab three points when in the first minute he was chopped down in the middle of the park. The free kick dropped just outside Follands box.

The keeper cleared with a high ball dropping into our box. Maher was off his line quickly to collect. It was a lively start

Follands pushed on and won a corner with 5 minutes gone. Danvers claimed the ball, sending it down the line for Butler. Follands defenders blocked progress and another NASA launch gave Maher a chance to dirty his gloves.

We lapsed concentration on 7 minutes and a run down Follands left let in a player for a run across the box. A slight gap was enough for the ball to find a way past Maher to put the home team ahead 0-1.

10 minutes saw Vining dropped by a sliding tackle. The ref waved play on as the ball ran free. Butler tried a shot but put the ball over the bar.

A couple of minutes later a long high Follands clearance was monitored by Anderton and his powerful header went wide for Davies. Dummying his marker and cutting inside Davies hit a volley but agonised as it took varnish off the post..

Davies, minutes later, suffered a sliding tackle taking him out of the game with ankle damage. On came Evans.

14 minutes a Cooper through ball reached Evans but so did a ferocious tackle. Another free kick. Butler dropped the ball on the penalty spot but strong defensive cover cleared the ball upfield.

32 gone and Hall was next to be floored. The ball had run on to Butler so the ref allowed Butler to run. He didn’t get far. Another tackle chopped him on the edge of the box.

The free kick dropped for Guthrie but a defender got in the way diverting the ball wide. In came Vining and an acrobatic volley flew past the keeper to make it 1-1.

In the last couple of minutes Follands CF was judged to have unfairly bustled Maher and was given a cooling down card giving him entry to the sin bin.

Half Time 1-1

Only a minute had gone in the second half when Hall was chopped down from behind. Elsom stepped up to deliver the ball into Follands box. A good pair of hands took care of the danger.

Butler tasted mud from yet another foul. Cooper tried to collect the ball to take the free kick but finished up in a fracas as the decision was hotly disputed. Cooper’s insistence to gather the ball finished up as a caution and a yellow card flourished.

We maintained pressure and after only eight minutes Evans blasted a ball heading for the corner of the net but up came a hand of God diverting the ball. The ref waved play on !!!!

The game continued end to end. We mastered the pitch and enjoyed the last 20 minutes playing good football.

Fouls were numerous. Elsom suffered from a very heavy tackle half way through the half. The free kick found Evans, on to Vining then Butler. Butler’s shot was pulled out of the top corner by a very good keeper.

Guthrie made way for Nicholson as we continued to press forward.

Edgar Zanin came on for Callum Butler with 5 minutes left and almost put the three points in our basket with a left foot volley. Regrettably a clipped cross bar was the result

Not many teams will get anything out of a Follands home fixture. We did, but had to prove a determination and team spirit matching Follands desires.

Result 1-1

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster