Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Merley Cobham vs Verwood Town 08-Aug-20


Cobham’s reception was first class with good dressing room facilities coping with Covid safety measures.

Again we had a good depth of squad and were able to give minutes to all our players.

Nicolson almost had the fastest goal of the season chalked up with a searing run and shot after only 10 seconds. The bar saved Cobham from going behind. The rebound was hoofed up field but Elsoms anticipation was first class and good feet took control. A ball wide gave Zanin space and a threaded ball found Vining. A good turn and shot was diverted away from goal by the keeper’s feet.

We stayed on attack. Butler took varnish off the post with a volley and then took a free kick that clipped the angle. Hall’s strength in the tackle won him the ball with 17 minutes on the clock and a great through ball gave Butler a run on goal. A dipper was blocked and cleared. The clearance was high into our area bringing Mayer into the game. A catch on the edge of the box and a good throw sparked another attack.

Butler was being marked so tight he must have thought he had haemorrhoids. He managed to break away though to force the keeper to make a full length save.

A good piece of football from the home side was broken up by Danvers. On to Nicolson – back to Danvers finishing with a rampant Butler shooting inches wide.

A melee in the Cobham box was finally launched up field. Mayer raced out to head on to Kelly - on to Danvers. A dip of the shoulder and Danvers made his way into the box. A scything tackle took him out and despite claims for a penalty the ref sadly claimed limited vision.

Half Time 0-0.

Off came Kelly Dyer Nicolson Hall Vining On came Glatzel Taylor Lawrence Anderton Smith.

The start heralded a long ball into our half. Glatzel read it well and released Smith. Good feet took him down the line but a couple of defenders blocked progress into the box and another rocket type clearance took away the chance of us going ahead.

The launch proved to be a training ground tactic as it landed just outside our box for a runner to lob the ball over the advancing Mayer putting Cobham ahead. 0-1

4 minutes later Danvers galloped down the line to drop the ball on Zanin’s toes. A swivel and a low left foot shot made it 1-1.

Butler almost made it 2-0 with a lob over the keeper but it landed wrong side of the bar.

Butler Zanin and Danvers made way for Hazel Ashby and Joseph half way through the half.

Water break completed, Taylor was first in action and left his marker stranded. A run to the edge of the area looked to prime his first goal of the season but the shot was cleared off the line.

The half meandered with close calls. Glatzel’s header with 15 minutes to go hit the bar, a sympathetic Anderton lob fell into the keepers hands, but with a minute to go Hazel pounced in the box to slam the ball into the roof of the net. 2-1.

Result 2-1

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster