Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Whitchurch United 17-Mar-2012


2 minutes 53 seconds and a screamer from Gajic hit the underside of the bar bounced down on to the keepers back and finished up in the back of the net 1-0. A cracking start in a crucial game. The goal went down as OG much to the chagrin of a hyped up Gajic.

No Whitchurch head dropped. Instead we had a sharp reaction as a good move down the right forced a good save from Lynch. A throw right and Evans fed Wrixton. Wrixton chipped the ball central and Haskell’s shot on the turn went wide.

Satterley had a low shot gathered by the keeper and then Dyer tried a long range effort that went over.

15 minutes and we were still pressing. Delaney joined in attack and an ambitious 35 yarder fell nicely for the keeper.

2 minutes later Satterley slammed a ball just past the post as we continued pushing forward.

Whitchurch dug in and some solid defending gave little scope for us to increase the score line. Some clever football took the ball over the half way line and a clinical pass through the middle gave space for a shot. Kelly had seen the danger and a sliding tackle took the ball away from the forward’s toe..

Whitchurch continued their attacking style and both our full backs were busy trying to stem flank attacks. One attack had the ball flying across the penalty spot and it took a flying dive from Lynch to cut out danger.

Delaney headed clear from a cross and then Kelly again had to head clear from a high ball into the box.

36 minutes and Lynch caught a dipping shot just under the bar. A throw to Evans…on to Wrixton. Wrixton’s cross found Gajic and a side foot put the ball wide of the post.

It was good end to end stuff with two defences not giving much away. Haskell was being policed reducing effectiveness and Satterley was being closed down quickly cutting down his room to maneuver.

Gajic’s display in midfield gave us the edge towards the end of the half and allowed Webb room to service the forwards.

Half Time 1-0.

We were prepared for a tough second half.

Wrixton broke away and tried a shot but the bushes were the only things troubled from the effort. The dead ball kick was hounded back by Gajic who was felled just outside the area. Homer stepped up to take the free kick. A curling left foot shot went just wide of the upright.

A break down Whitchurch left had us back pedaling. Delaney was across quickly to support Evans and between them stopped the cross. A clearance fell to Satterley. Cutting inside the full back Satterley tried a cross shot but the keeper gathered easily.

It was still end to end. Lynch pulled off a point blank save as our defence was breached.

Gajic drove us in mid field with a great display of stamina and guile. Webb worked hard and with Dyer and Wrixton working the flanks we looked very solid. The problem was the cutting edge to find a goal.

65 minutes and it was that man Gajic again driving the ball goalward but disappointed to see it sail wide.

Homer broke up an attack on Whitchurch right and a line all found Dyer. A jinking run and cross and there was Haskell to plant a fierce hear over the bar.

We pushed forward again and Homer linking with Satterley went wide. A cross found Haskell. A shot hit a wall of defenders, out it came for Satterley to try a shot. Again it hit the wall and spun free. A long clearance meant a diarrhoea attack for Adie Arnold. Only Homer was back with two forwards bearing down on goal. Homer pounced and the ball was cleared to Satterley, a quick ball cross field to Wrixton and Wrixton made ground to float the ball on to the penalty spot. Up went Haskell and the cross bar rattled from the header.

Whitchurch stepped up pace. Delaney cleared a low ball in the box and then Kelly swallow dived to head out of the six yard box. Evans cut a ball out from the left and Gajic joined the defence to head a corner clear.

72 minutes Elysee came on for a hard worked Satterley and was instantly into attack joined by Evans. The move was rounded off with Evans shooting wide.

Someone said Mike Haskell had broken into a gallop but the effort put in had taken its toll and had Haskell been on the road he would have been arrested for kerb crawling.

Result as the whistle blew 1-0

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster