Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report United Services Verwood Town vs Hythe and Dibden 8-Oct-2011


For the first time this season we had a full squad with a great bench. Matt Dear returned to the fold and rewarded with a left back spot. Obviously a more upbeat football quality was in his mind.

A long ball from H&D's mid field was intercepted by Delaney who played the ball out of defence and a perfect ball to Saxby gave our Road Runner freedom to attack on the right. A good cross arrowed into the middle was blocked by a lunging centre half and we won the first corner of the game. The ball was too near a good keeper so safe hands took the ball away from danger.

5 minutes old and Dear Haskell and Homer split the left hand side allowing a Homer cross to drop invitingly on the penalty spot. Saxby won the race and bullet header deserved a goal but instead disappointment etched itself on Saxby's face.

Saxby's Barber must have a tremendous sense of humour. The knife and fork cut though served its purpose as Saxby won a couple of headers by shoving his privet hedge in front of defenders. Haskell benefitted most as the ball dropped for him on both occasions but the keeper was excellent in handling the shots.

H&D had a good spell and tested the pairing of Kelly and Delaney. It proved a good tussle. Kelly's improvement this season was there for all to see as he used his right foot as well to pass the ball. H&D went close a couple of times but Lynch looked sober and capably handled everything showing threat.

13 minutes and Saxby rounded the full back and fired a brilliant shot worthy of a goal. The keeper in fantastic form and made a great save.

We couldn't score. H&D went closer than us but it was 36 minutes into the game before Dyer crossed into the box and a defenders foot diverted the ball past the keeper. OG 1-0.

Half Time 1-0

Only 13 seconds of the half gone and Haskell slipped the ball to Gajic. Gajic coolly made ground and side footed the ball past the keeper. 2-0

49 minutes gone and a robust Haskell shrugged off the attention of a couple of defenders and slammed the ball into the net. 3-0.

It was dream start to the half. It continued, 52 minutes Dear and Haskell broke through and Gajic finished off the move with a cracking goal. 4-0.

H&D had slackened noticeably looking more tired as the game wore on.

For a change we wanted the ball and worked hard to make things happen. Evans joined the front runners to try a long distance shot (probably a cross) that sailed over the bar.

Saxby and Haskell combined with a good exchange with Haskell shooting wide.

54 minutes saw Homer jinking his way past a couple of defenders and a low cross was met by Dyer. A volley went agonisingly wide.

We pressed forward and got a free kick just outside the box. Haskell lumbered forward and the ball whipped through the wall to finish up in the bottom corner. 5-0.

All credit to H&D. They worked hard to get back in the game but had left it late and we were solid at the back.

Saxby came off for Barnet and a couple of minutes later Homer came off for Murray to try his luck on the left.

Before we settled H&D had whipped the ball through the middle and a cracking effort was well saved by Lynch.

Dyer's cross was headed over by Barnet and Haskell's shot from the edge of the box went inches past the post.

Freeman came on for Evans but the change did nothing to alter the score line of.................Full Time 5-0.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster