Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs East Cowes Victori 27-Aug-2011


The game started well with both teams working hard. Quality on the ball though left a lot to be desired.

3 minutes gone and Saxby joined Webb in a chase for the ball. Good defending cleared the danger. A long ball was intercepted by Freeman and a pass back to Hollier gave our debut keeper a chance to get into the game.

18 minutes gone and a clinical pass from Barnet found Brown. A low pass across the box and there was Saxby to divert the ball past the keeper to make it 1-0.

4 minutes later Hollier had to race out of goal to make a save at feet and then a minute later Freeman was the hero clearing off the line.

24 minutes another attack from ECV had us pegged in our area. A mad scramble was the result of a chip onto the penalty spot. This time we couldn't prevent a toe prodding he ball over the line. 1-1.

2 minutes later Freeman was the difference between going behind and holding a 1-1 scoreline. A terrific interception denied a shot on goal from close in and we breathed again.

Dyer then tracked back to stop a shot from close in and it was obvious we had lost the plot at the back.

31 minutes a corner was punched out by Hollier but fell on the edge of the box. Several legs provided a passage to goal like a pin ball machine but that's where it finished up for a 1-2 on the score card.

We tried to get back into the game but ECV were on top and determined to stay there.

A flurry towards the end of the half saw Wilson and Toy carve out a gap but Brown's finish left the half time result at 1-2.

The same work ethic was evident at the start of the second half as we had witnessed in the first half. Passing though was still a problem.

Mike Toy's lack of pre season took its toll and after 60 minutes had to make way for Murray.

We had a spate of good passing between Webb Wilson and Evans when breaking up another ECV raid. We were on the back foot though and pressure on our defence was like adrenalin for the ECV bench.

We battled away and Barnet was instrumental in prompting a good move through the middle. Dyer picked up the move and a peach of a pass into the six yard box begged for a touch. It wasn't to be and a golden opportunity was missed.

We lost rhythm and became disjointed. Brown came off and Aspin came on.

73 minutes we tried to defend a corner but made a hash of it. The ball was gently edged over the line to put ECV 1-3 ahead.

A brief attack had Lovell on the end of a high ball into the box but the ball sailed over the bar.

We looked tired and ECV took the opportunity to push forward.

78 minutes a chip over our defence allowed a lone runner to coast into our area and we went behind 1-4.

89 minutes we gave easy passage for another runner and found ourselves floundering with the score 1-5.

Sadly the referee had 3 minutes to add for injuries so we had to weather more attacks as ECV pushed for number six.

The whistle finally blew on a 1-5 result sending home a buoyant East Cowes Vics.

Final Score 1-5.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster