Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Hamworthy United vs Verwood Town 19-Aug-2011


Our first friendly of the new season and against Hamworthy United. Mixed squads and a sprinkling of new faces.

It was a quick start from both sides with the best move in the opening minutes from a Barnet, Brown and Haskell link that broke down just inside the box as the final pass was intercepted and booted clear.

The ball whipped downfield and a counter attack finished with a shot from 20 yards that a very capable pair of hands on the end of Chris Lynch's arms took easily.

We pushed forward with Dyer Haskell and Gajic moving the ball down the left. Dyer's cross was headed for a corner.

In it swept but Hamworthy's defence powered the ball clear.

It was a good open game with the ball played more along the deck than parachuting.

23 minutes and we broke clear. Haskell turned his marker and raced free. Out came the keeper and a good shot was deflected for a corner. Again Hamworthy's defence had the better cover and the ball was headed to safety.

36 minutes and we looked a bit leggy. We were pushed back and the home side peppered the box. Lovell was exceptional during this period and won everything that was in the air. Ali Gajic swept well and Evans having returned to the fold revelled in his right back spot.

5 minutes left of the half and we won a free kick just outside the area. Craig Barnet hit a cracker that beat the defence, went wide of the keeper, but hit the inside of the post and bounced out.

The whistle went just as Dyer hit a low drive heading for the net.

Half time 0-0

2 minutes only on the clock and we buckled on the right. A deep cross found an inrushing forward but the header screamed over the bar.

A minute later and it was like Moses parting the Red Sea. We were all over the show. A shot was allowed from only 10 yards out but luckily Lynch was well placed to stop the effort from crossing the line.

5 minutes and we clicked. Haskell took a ball on the centre spot. Held it up for players to arrive and laid it back for Evans to steam in and put an inch perfect ball into the box.

Saxby rose on the far post like a dead salmon and the ball flew into the bottom corner. 1-0.

Maybe the goal gave a degree of complacency because three minutes later the ball was dropped into our area and half hit for goal. It was if it had dropped from a Mount Etna Eruption. Lynch half caught it juggled as if on Britain's Got Talent and lobbed it carefully into the back of the net. 1-1.

We tried to get back into our stride straight away. Barnet and Brown linked well to cut through the centre and Haskell joined in to slip the ball to Chas Gajic. A cross was just too high for Saxby.

23 minutes and we gave away a free kick about 25 yards out. The defensive wall shuffled left and right. Lynch worked his way from post to post and then the whistle blew. While we had been adjusting, the free kick had been taken and sat at the back of the net. 1-2.

Superhero, Craig Rogers came on and was soon in the thick of things. Shrugging off a couple of tackles Rogers raced down the flank and tried a left foot shot.....too wide.

Rogers then tried a right foot shot. He should have kept trying with his left.

In the last minute Haskell tried a dipping shot but the keeper made a good save. A good work out but a disappointing score line.

Final score 1-2

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster