Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Merley Cobham 16-Jul-22


Match played on the 3G pitch at Blandford School

It’s took only 40 seconds for Regan Mason to get his name on the score sheet. An immediate attack from the kick off had the keeper half clearing a McWilliams shot. Mason’s predatory instincts kicked in and a low volley whipped past the keeper into the bottom corner. 1-0.

Cobham steered the ball wide left from the re start but Broad was in quickly to win a strong tackle and clear upfield.

This opening spell was a pre cursor to a good open game with both sides playing good football.

The mid field belonged to Storey and Stock whilst any ball finding its way into our third was mopped up by Towers and Taylor. Phillips was unemployed in the early stages as we had most of the possession.

It was a high energy game despite a 33c temperature.

McMonagle Hall and Mason worked an opening with 15 minutes gone and Carswell almost got our second with a great shot but watched the keeper make a good low save on the post.

Cobham then had a good spell but Phillips was equal to anything thrown at him on the day.

41 minutes saw Carswell break free and fending off a tackle on the edge of the area put the ball past the keeper to make it 2-0.

A late last-minute flurry from Cobham provided Broad with an opportunity to show great defending.

Half Time 2-0

Several new faces at half time saw defence and attack changed shape but we maintained an edge while settling in.

Max Mason’s strength on the ball was tested by a runner breaking into the box but a good shoulder nudge was enough to claim a dead ball.

Cobham’s changes gave fresh legs and Disson showed good hands with a catch just under the bar. On 19 minutes of the half though there wasn’t much he could do as a shot from just inside the box sped into the bottom corner 2-1.

Cobham’s tails were up. Our defence was under the cosh for a short while but gradually we reclaimed possession and forced play into Cobham’s third.

Carswell’s blistering pace took him free of his marker and on 31 minutes the ball hit the roof of the net to make it 3-1.

Two minutes later a hopeful long ball from Cobham’s midfield dropped nicely for a runner on goal but Sumers was on hand to cut out the danger.

35 gone and Disson made a great save as an angled shot from the edge of our box was well taken.

Then a late late show.

42 minutes McMonagle steamed past a static defence to hammer home our fourth. 4-1.

43 minutes Taylor put the game to bed with a great goal and to finish the score at 5-1.

Result. 5-1

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster