Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Shaftesbury Reserves vs Verwood Town 08-Jul-22


Our first friendly of the season and a new look about the side. 18 players made up the squad.

Shaftesbury opened the running with a ball wide right but Taylor intercepted and whipped the ball back to Phillips. Playing out from the back the ball found its way from Broad to Mason to Craig. A good through ball was intercepted by defenders and cleared.

Despite the high temperature we maintained high energy and had Shaftesbury defending in numbers.

Fishlock tried a 20 yarder that was gathered low by the keeper and then a snap counter from Shaftesbury gave Phillips a chance to show good hands.

Max Mason linked with Craig to open up the middle and a through ball from Craig for Rossiter had Shaftesbury’s defence shuttling back. The ball for Rossiter was just too far ahead and a size 12 boot cleared the danger.

Shaftesbury’s attacks varied with testing lobs and wide balls for runners. Sumers and Mason provided and impenetrable barrier.

Storey was impacting the midfield and working with Regan Mason split the Shaftesbury defence for Mason bring a great save from the keeper. We were enjoying the higher percentage of possession but couldn’t put the ball in the net.

Carswell and Storey almost broke the deadlock with good approach work but Carswell’s finish again kept the score sheet clean.

31 minutes gone and Rossiter latched on to a ball on the edge of the box. A double shuffle and a right foot shot made it 1-0.

6 minutes later we gave away a penalty. 1-1

43 minutes and Rossiter again nipped into the box to steer the ball past the keeper 2-1.

Half Time. 2-1

Several changes were made at half time to ensure everyone in the squad got minutes on the night. It didn’t make much difference to performance. Energy and quality on the ball remained high.

Carswell and Joe Hall split the middle with a speedy Joe Hall outstripping defenders but finally inches short of diverting the ball past an advancing keeper.

We continued pressing. Regan Mason had a shot blocked on the line. Carswell clipped the bar and a Jack Broad rocket flew the same route. Fishlock then threaded his way through the middle and tried a 20 yarder but only to agonise as the ball inched yet again over the bar.

11 minutes gone, Mukambi and McWilliams carved an opening in the Shaftesbury defence. McWilliams finished the move that beat the keeper but hit the side netting.

Shaftesbury reacted with some good football but we had a solid defence and Sumers Mason Kerr and Taylor helped Disson to keep the home side from increasing their score line.

Mukambi picked up a Taylor lob into the box and a great chip had the keeper scrambling to tip the ball over the bar.

Shaftesbury again reacted with a spate of good attacking football but we had a defence on the day more than capable of handling the threat. Stock was impressive in tidying up several hopeful breaks and with support from Kerr and Taylor we presented a solid wall.

A couple of hopeful high balls into the box gave Disson a chance to show top quality anticipation and handling.

41 minutes saw Mukambi juggle the ball past defenders but was unlucky to beat the keeper but have the ball kicked off the line. Rossiter was on hand to snap up a third 3-1.

45 minutes and Rossiter slammed his fourth of the game just before the Ref blew for full time.

Result. 4-1

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster