Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Newport vs Verwood Town 22-Jan-22


A designated Newport 'home' match but reversed and played at Potterne due to issues with Newport's current groundshare home at Smallbrook Stadium
We needed a better performance than we had mid week, and got it.

The start was hectic. Long balls down both flanks tested Danvers and Hockton Both were on top of their game and winning early battles.

A long distance dipping volley from Newport was well taken under the bar by Phillips as we contained early attacks.

We dug in and gradually gained possession.

Stacey and Davies were prominent up front pegging the Newport defenders in their third.

Another Danvers Stacey link resulted in a Davies shot being half cleared. This time Vining got on the end of it and the net bulged giving us a 1-0 lead.

10 minutes and from another long ball Danvers won the tackle, skipping over a lunging tackle laid off a superb ball to Davies. A good low cross was almost turned in by Vining but a long leg and size 14 boot half cleared. In steamed Stock to volley from the edge of the box. The cross bar stopped us grabbing a second.

Newport’s counter was read well by Smith and a pin point pass to Davies gave half a chance but Davies’ shot was well held by the keeper.

Newport’s main thrust was through long balls for a while but we were bolstered by Elsom’s return and mopping up was well controlled.

Hall and Cooper in the middle impacted the game and on 25 minutes Hall worked the ball centrally releasing Stacey. Good feet and Stacey’s run was blocked on the edge of the box. A half clearance was collected by Smith. A wide ball found Davies. Davies cut inside and unleashed a volley that took varnish off the post.

We had the edge on play and should have scored another couple but couldn’t put the ball in the net.

Some petty fouls were on show but when Cooper and his marker tried to swap shirts although the Ref hadn’t seen the incident he was led to believe Cooper had thrown a punch and flourished a red card. 30 minutes gone and down to 10 men !!.

No heads fell and we continued producing some good football going close a couple of times.

43 minutes and a classic Elsom through ball carved an opening for Davies to try a shot from close in. The keeper again did well to palm a stinging shot out of the area,

The counter caught us out and a runner managed to steer the ball by Phillips. 1-1

Half Time 1-1.

Phillips was tested after only 30 seconds as Newport continued their long ball game.

Stock was judged too enthusiastic in a tackle and a FK was awarded 25 yards out from the area. Smith won the header and Elsom picked up the loose ball. A pass wide found Hockton, a good line ball and Vining ghosted past his marker to bring another good save from the keeper.

Newport’s pressure cracked us 11 minutes into the second half and a half hit shot crept into the bottom corner 1-2.

Elsom Smith Danvers and Hockton were now under pressure as Newport’s game chipped the mid field.

15 gone and another looping ball found a runner whom the crowd believed was offside but was able to run free and score low. 1-3.

18 minutes - a double substitution. Nace came on for Stacey and Hunt came on for Vining.

We were still sorting ourselves out when the ball was pumped into the area. A runner went free to make it 1-4.

With 20 minutes to go We were looking a bit tired. Again though there was no doubting a willingness to change the score board.

Phillips had a very busy last few minutes as we were pushed back.

Newport’s extra man counted. 37 gone and we got hit on a counter. 1-5. 46 we got hit again pushing too far and leaving a thin line at the back 1-6.

The score line reflects a healthy win for Newport, but we gave a good performance and feel confident of getting better results in the future

Result 1-6

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster