Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Downton vs Verwood Town 04-Dec-21


8 changes 2 new faces and a 2” coating of Deep Heat on Guthrie lined up against Downton.

The first test was from the kick off. Downton hit the left hand channel with a long ball. Hancox cleared to Jake Kelly, a cross found Gardiner, good feet rounded a defender and a through ball gave Gray an opening. The keeper did well to race from his line and clear.

Downton’s accuracy in finding channels was a feature but we coped in the early stages as our very much changed defence settled in.

We countered well and had a couple of opportunities with Davies blazing just over the bar and Gray inching a volley past the post.

It was fast and furious. Webber had his hands full with an enterprising flank player but was exceptional in his defending on the day and kept danger to a minimum.

O’Connor was becoming heavily involved as Downton gained more possession.

Vining went close on 20 minutes and shortly after Davies skied a volley high into Salisbury Town Centre.

We were being gradually pushed back. Midfield looked like the Sahara. It was inevitable Downton would go ahead and did so on 29 minutes. Pressure in our box paid off despite a Lister clearance off the post and a Ben Kelly header out of the 6 yard box. O’Connor beat out a volley but couldn’t get near the follow up and we went behind 0-1.

Downton gave us a lesson in holding on to a lead with some strong tackling and good central area control.

Half Time 0-1

We looked lethargic at the whistle and almost went further behind when Downton’s push through the middle reached the box. A resultant rising shot was pushed out by O’Connor, the follow up was blocked by Lister as we hung on.

6 minutes gone and we lost the ball in the middle giving a half chance to a central runner – 0-2.

On 8 minutes Powis came on for Vining and on 10 minutes Fisher replaced Gardiner.

Downton pursued a third with a barrage. O’Connor was extra busy and our back four struggled to contain the flow. It needed someone to get hold of the game but there wasn’t a taker on the day.

Fisher opened up a gap on 27 but Gray was just beaten to the ball by defenders.

On 36 minutes we totally lost discipline and it was as if Moses had joined in and parted the middle of he park. No challenge, no marker, 0-3.

We rallied slightly but couldn’t crack a buoyant Downton defence.

Then we had a shot on goal !!!! Would there be another ?? No.

It’s likely that after this display we will see our Management team travel en bloc to become Tibetan Monks.

Result 0-3.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster