Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Sherborne Town vs Verwood Town 11-Sep-21


In the first half Sherborne demonstrated an appetite for this fixture that we sadly lacked. We back pedaled from the whistle until it blew again to signal an end to 45 minutes of lack lustre effort .

We were peppered with attacks into the area bringing the best out of Burt, Kelly and Taylor. Balls were thumped in from all angles with runners eager to find the net.

12 minutes had elapsed when we faltered on the edge of the area and a half chance was snapped up. 0-1.

We had a couple of minutes of an attempted threat on Sherborne’s goal with Davies and Webber going close but couldn’t grab a leveler.

22 minutes gone and a good move down Sherborne’s left finished with a cross finished by a bullet header making it 0-2.

Taylor came into his own making a tremendous save from a deep cross threatening to creep under the bar. He had to produce another great piece of handling in stopping a low volley from making it 0-3.

On 26 though there was nothing he could do with another cross met on the volley that whipped up the top corner. We were getting cut apart in the middle.

Skipper Ben Kelly had to come off with Achilles trouble giving Ollie Wilson a run alongside Matt Burt.

Suddenly we had signs of a rally with Hall and Cooper beginning to grab midfield. Hall’s ball wide for Danvers opened up Sherborne on the left. A good cross fell for Webber to try a shot but a defender blocked his effort on the line and cleared.

Wilson was busy doing well against a strong running opposition.

8 minutes to go and play just on the edge of our box was allowed to go unchecked. A grateful Sherborne made it 0-4.

A minute later we collapsed again allowing a low ball across the penalty box to go unchecked and Taylor had no chance as the scoreboard rattled up number 5.

Taylor was then a hero making a triple save on the line and sending us in at half time with a score of 0-5.

Half Time 0-5.

Eddie Clifford made his bow for the team at the start of the second half and was immediately in the thick of things as we returned to a more Verwood like attacking side that was missing in the first half.

It needed 20 minutes of hard graft to stamp ourselves on the game. Danvers and Watkins were exceptional in this period coaxing and prompting the flanks with some great football. Wilson had dug in and with Burt staying more central the central thoroughfare was contained.

Cooper and Hall took charge. Cooper was a bit heavy with a tackle or two and earned a yellow card. We continued to attack.

Davies was dropped a few times but on 20 minutes of the half gone was on the end of a Clifford, Guthrie move to slam the ball past the keeper. 1-5.

A couple of minutes later Guthrie dummied his marker to thread a peach of a ball to Davies’ feet. The result ,,,2-5.

Sherborne were now showing frustration as we pushed on.

Little got past our defenders and Davies, Webber and Clifford gave hope for more goals with some excellent football. It was Webber who made it 3-5 with a cute lob over the keeper.

Handbags were out now. The Referee almost lost the pea in his whistle with over use.

We pressed to the end but left after redeeming ourselves a bit but gave Sherborne the opportunity to go into the next round.

Result 3-5

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster