Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Newport IOW 04-Sep-21


For the neutral supporter this was a great game to watch with both teams committed to attacking football.

Both ends of the pitch were employed in the first few minutes with a slick passing movement between Hall and Cooper releasing Gray in Newport's third. Gray's raking pass gave Davies a run and a low cross whipped across the box with no toes to touch home.

Newport's counter was as quick and gave warning that half a chance shouldn't be offered. Maher collected a shot from the edge of the box.

4 minutes gone and a frustrated Cowland had to come off because of injury. Meddah came on with Adie Arnold having to shuffle the formation.

Danvers was busy containing a lively flank but was back on form giving nothing away. Watkins was on his usual reliable form and with Dickenson and Kelly holding the middle we looked comfortable.

12 gone and Cooper found Meddah in space. A good cross from the bye line and there was Butler to rifle home a good goal. 1-0.

The game continued end to end with both keepers tested.

22 minutes ..Hall on to Cooper. A chip from Cooper landed nicely for Gray in the box but a rash tackle gave away a penalty. Up stepped Gray to smash the ball into the roof of the net. 2-0.

Then came our mad moments leaving room for an attack minded Newport, creating space.

29 minutes we lapsed concentration at the back 2-1.
33 minutes a long ball and runner 2-2.
34 minutes another standing off players spell on the edge of the box and we went - 2-3.

Suddenly we looked ragged.

We briefly rallied before the whistle and almost leveled with a Watkins Hall and Davies combination finishing with Gray collecting a cross in the box but his low shot was well saved by the keeper.

Half Time 2-3.

We came out of the traps quickly and Coopers through ball on 2 minutes cut open Newport's defence leaving Meddah a run on goal. No mistake, 3-3.

Newport, stung by the retaliation upped their game and Kelly cleared the first aerial lob into the box with Dickenson following up a minute later picking a pocket before a shot could be made. 7 minutes gone saw Davies rounding his marker, cutting along the area releasing a stinging low volley that whistled past the keeper to make it 4-3.

Then came a turning point. In the first half Meddah had been booked for a short petulant moment and in the 9th minute of the second half gone, was again booked for a tackle that many believed to be a harsh decision. Result though a Red.

10 men left for 81 minutes and a Newport side boosted with the sending off.

The spirit of the side today couldn't be faulted. Everyone got stuck in but with 15 minutes left a long clearance from the Newport keeper landed nicely for a runner 4-4.

11 minutes left and a deep cross was palmed out by Maher but a follow up player slammed the ball into the bottom corner. 4-5.

We then had a 10 minute spell of camping out in the Newport third with Maher joining the attack as well.

We went close a couple of times but Newport stuck it out and collected the three points.

Result 4-5.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster