Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Whitchurch United 14-Aug-21


Whitchurch always provide a hard game and this was expected to be the same. We performed well last week and earned a good result. We were determined to do the same.

We had to attack. From the kick off Guthrie floated a ball wide for Davies but the run on goal was blocked and the ball played back for a big boot upfield. Kelly won the ball and played in Burt. On to Watkins and a line ball opened up Whitchurch defence. A good low cross from Vining was hoofed clear.

Whitchurch tried to contain things in the middle but Butler and Hall closed down any attempted central moves to keep us in control.

A Gray effort was well taken by the keeper and a long ball down their right put them in our third. Hancox picked the pocket and squared the ball to Hall. A pass wide to Davies found feet but Davies was being marked like a second skin. Davies played the ball back to Hancox and a delicate chip over defenders sent Davies into the box. A left foot blaster was beaten out. In stormed Butler but again a good low shot was cleared.

8 minutes gone and we again went close from a Davies break and shot that the keeper did well to palm out.

The half continued with the same pattern. Whitchurch's sporadic attacks were capably dealt with by Burt and Kelly whilst Hancox and Watkins proved to be Impenetrable.

Gray was coming more into the picture and it was inevitable a clear cut chance would be on the cards.

12 minutes and a Hall ball to Davies was threaded across the box for Gray to coast past a defender and slide the ball past an advancing keeper. 1-0.

A couple of minutes later a Whitchurch counter had Taylor taking a shot on the post and then Hancox had to scramble a ball out of the box as Whitchurch pushed forward.

Their pressure paid off with 24 minutes gone when we gave away a penalty. Taylor made a great attempt to save and although managing to palm the ball off the line was disappointed as a runner raced in to put the ball in the net. 1-1.

We didn't dwell on the penalty but hit back and deserved to go ahead again when 3 minutes later Guthrie split Whitchurch defence with a ball from the right. Davies steamed in but was dropped in the box. Vining made no mistake with the penalty,,,2-1.

Half Time 2-1.

We seemed to have lost a bit of the flow spluttering a bit allowing Whitchurch more room and time on the ball. Hancox deprived a hopeful left flank of a goal with a timely tackle on the edge of the box and Taylor used good hands to take a hopeful dipper under the bar.

Guthrie Vining and Hall combined to give Davies a shot but the ball was deflected for a corner. Kelly headed over, 12 gone and Butler waltzed round his marker to put the ball across the box. Davies made no mistake and claimed his first in the game. 3-1.

Vining came off to give Meddeh a run.

A minute later Whitchurch steamed into our box and a shot for the bottom corner was superbly turned round the post by Taylor.

We continued pressing and with 15 minutes to go Meddeh Hall and Gray worked the right flank finishing with a cross across the box for Davies to hammer home his second of the game. 4-1

The whistle went with another attack but a score line remaining of 4-1.

Result 4-1.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster