Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Christchurch 03-Apr-21


(Played Behind Closed Doors due to Covid Restrictions)

Josh Hall and Billy Cooper had a busy start in a scrappy opening spell. It took a long high ball for Christchurch to get past mid field but the finishing anaemic shot dropped safely into Callum Watson’s arms.

Christchurch managed to get through on the left with the game ten minutes old and a low cross skimmed across the area. Taylor won the ball and set up a counter. Cooper dummied his marker and found Watkins overlapping on the right. A scything tackle floored him. Watkins took the free kick and a pin-point ball dropped nicely for Guthrie to volley from just inside the box forcing the keeper into a flying save.

We were now enjoying more possession and some good football followed with Butler roasting the centre half after 15 minutes and agonised as the keeper made another tremendous save from an on target shot.

Taylor and Kelly provided an impenetrable barrier for the Christchurch forwards as we weathered a flurry of Christchurch central runs.

28 minutes and we shook off rustiness following the lay off. Butler and Watkins stormed the right flank and a succession of penetrating runs had the Christchurch defence scrambling.

Nace dipped a nice ball inside the box and another Guthrie blaster was turned out for a corner. Nicolson’s ball dropped on the spot and Kelly’s header took paint off the cross bar.

On the whistle Cooper robbed his opposite number and a defence splitting pass fell for Nace to round the full back and send a low cross into the box.

A big boot cleared the danger as the whistle went for half time.

Half Time 0-0.

At the re start we had a couple of changes. Ryan Watkins came off for Jack Broad and Josh Nace made way for Nasim Meddah.

Three minutes into the half and Taylor won a header on the edge of the box. Hall gathered and opened up a gap for Cooper to continue the move. Back to Hall and a defence splitting pass gave Guthrie space. A good low shot was parried by the keeper and finally cleared.

We had a more open game now as a few tired legs became evident.

12 minutes and Butler came off to give Charlie Guy a run. A couple of minutes later Nicolson was floored trying to round the full back and came off for Alex Hancox to have his first outing.

We pressed forward and Billy Copper was floored again. A change was decided. Nathan Powis came on for Billy Cooper.

20 minutes saw us settled and back in control. Hall left his marker for dead and delivered a daisy cutter for Meddah. His run was blocked and a long clearance dropped into our third. Broad was underneath it to win the ball and set up Hall. A good crossfield pass was just too far for Meddah so Christchurch got the throw.

A bit of frustration crept in and on 28 minutes a Christchurch player was shown a red for disputing a decision.

A minute later we countered an attack and Hancox was on hand to poach his first goal for the Club. 1-0.

A corner three minutes later almost had Hancox doubling his tally as a strong header was saved on the line. The clearance was deep but a very much in form Danvers took the ball off toes and a brilliant low ball across the box found Guthrie. A half chance was all that was needed as Guthrie hammered the ball past the keeper to make the score board show a 2-0 lead.

We had the greater impact in the closing minutes. Danvers again took the ball out of defence freeing up Powis with a through ball. Powis crossed and a Hancox Guthrie combination finished with the keeper beaten but the ball shaving the post.

48 minutes and Charlie Guy stitched up the game with a clinical finish just inside the box. 3-0

Result 3-0.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster