Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report East Cowes vs Verwood Town 19-Dec-20


A Guthrie brace and a clinical Butler finish clinched three points on the Isle of Wight.

Despite a swirling wind and early showers we started brightly and efforts from Vining and Evans indicated an attacking mood. Elsom went close on 5 minutes as we pushed forward.

Evans forged a way down the flank and an inch perfect pass dropped at Butler’s feet on the edge of the box. Butler’s double shuffle gave space and a clinical right foot shot sped past the keeper. 11 minutes gone and 1-0.

East Cowes retaliated with good progressive football but we had a well organised back four and an in form keeper to keep the score sheet clean.

The rain increased accompanied by thunder and lightening. The pitch was heavy and slippy but both teams coped admirably to keep playing good football.

Cooper was having an influence in the middle of the park and winning a tussle set up a break down the right. Watkins overlapped and a low cross was only inches from Guthrie’s toes to make it No.2. A massive boot upfield fell in our third but Anderton was there to head clear.

Then came a ten minute spell that should have produced another goal as Vining had a shot turned round the post with the resulting corner being half cleared. Guthrie dummied his marker to give a low ball to Evans’ feet. A swivel and another shot on ECV’s goal whistled inches wide.

The half finished with a late ECV rally but the teams went in without further goals.

Half Time 0-1.

Hailstone hammered the pitch making it even more difficult to keep the ball on the deck. Somehow both teams did well to keep a flowing game and without Physio attention.

A great piece of creative skill from Hall split ECV’s defence but Butler’s shot went inches wide.

A Vining shot with a couple of minutes on the clock scraped the post as we continued where we left off. Evans followed minutes later with a rasper that had the keeper beaten but went wrong side of the post.

ECV picked up adrenalin. A cracking move down their right finished with a deep cross and being volleyed on goal. Maher flung himself across the flight of the ball diverting it for a corner. Kelly rose higher than others and headed clear.

Evans and Butler had shots saved and we then had another wave of ECV attacks to cope with. Elsom and Kelly stood firm in the middle and both Anderton and Watkins gave little away to stop flank crosses.

We attacked. Evans brushed aside a strong tackle and releasing a through ball gave a half chance for Guthrie. It was enough. 2-0.

The game went end to end but with a few minutes left Vining had a shot cleared and then a ball across the area found Guthrie. No mistake and no chance for the keeper. 0-3.

Result 0-3

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster