Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Hythe & Dibden vs Verwood Town 19-Sep-20


We needed a top performance against season pace setters Hythe & Dibden. We did it. From the onset we pushed forward to carry the game to Hythe & Dibden.

Danvers back on form after his injury led the charge. Outstripping his marker on our left, Danvers made the bye line cutting the ball back for Smith. Smith’s shot deserved an early goal but the bar intervened. Vining followed in but put the ball past the post.

Hythe & Dibden’s response was instant. Good football took them to the edge of the box and a shot was blocked by Kelly. The rebound was smashed over the bar.

Smith, Evans and Maddocks worked a move through the middle. Evans finished the approach with a rising shot that the keeper did well to hold. A high ball into our third was chaperoned by Elsom. A fine threaded pass found Vining who skipped into the area but delivered a shot the keeper found comfortable to handle.

Maher was out quickly to stop a run on goal and a spot on pass threaded its way to Elsom. Elsom’s deft touch put two midfielders in a quandary. Slipping past, Elsom put the ball on Evans toes. Cutting along the edge of the area Evans tried an angled shot but defenders cleared from the six yard box.

Hythe & Dibden looked ominous on the counter but we had a back four supported by Maher that coped adequately with the threat.

Maddocks and Smith’s on going tussle in midfield was crucial. They worked hard and earned the plaudits.

A spell of pressure from Hythe & Dibden tested resolve but we were up for the challenge and hit back again with good football.

Elsom worked the ball out of defence to set up Evans. Good feet rounded a defender and a superb ball inside the back gave Butler a run on goal. His volley was too much for the keeper to hold and we went 1-0 ahead.

Half Time 1-0

We continued the second half where we left off. A corner 2 minutes into the half taken by Nicholson zipped into the 6 yard box. Vining tried a flick but took varnish off the post.

On 4 minutes Zanin came on for Nicholson.

Zanin was immediately into action. A superb ball from Hall sent him into Hythe & Dibden’s third. Good footwork took him past defenders to the edge of the area. A terrific shot brought a fine save from the keeper.

Evans then went close with a rising shot as we pressed forward. Sims came on for Vining with 27 minutes gone.

Evans and Butler carved out a gap for Sims to try a shot but the keeper was untroubled.

Danvers collected a long clearance with 33 minutes of the half gone. A great cross whipped into the area and Zanin stole in to slot the ball past the keeper. 2-0.

Danvers ankle problem flared with 5 minutes left so Anderton went one for one to ensure we stayed ahead. We did.

A late flurry from Hythe & Dibden met resilience and we progressed to the next round of the vase in which we face Whitchurch at Whitchurch.

Result 2-0.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster