Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Hythe and Dibden 05-Sep-20


Our first league fixture of the season was pitched against one of the division’s promotion favourites, Hythe & Dibden. It proved a quality game for the fans.

Hythe pinched the three points with an early goal and another one late in the first half. It was a finger tip ride for them in the second half as we pulled one back and had them on the rack towards the end.

A return match is due in two weeks time at Hythe when we will each try to progress to the next round of the F A Vase.

The opening had both teams at full stretch. Elsom was tested in the first minute but came through unscathed after robbing the ball in a fierce tackle. Kelly was equally busy heading clear a hopeful high ball into the box.

Nicolson and Vining almost broke the score board silence with a move down our left but a hasty clearance from H&D defenders let them off the hook.

H&D’s retort was to try a push through the middle but Halls tenacity in the tackle stopped the raid dead outside the box.

A Smith and Watkins combination worked the left hand side and Watkins through ball released Evans. A run and cross was met by thick defensive cover blocking the way to goal.

We pressed forward and Vining’s run into the area was halted by a sliding tackle earning a penalty. The usual Butler finish wasn’t there on the day and the keeper beat out a fiercely taken spot kick.

16 minutes gone and a mistake in our defence let in a runner, Maher had no chance as the ball whipped up the net giving Hythe the lead.

Danvers and Watkins were tested as H&D switched attacking options but quality frustrated the H&D flank attacks.

7 minutes to go and Vining’s pace took him clear. A squared back ball found Butler and a volley slammed against the bar with the goalkeeper stranded. The ball was hoofed up field and we suffered with a counter down their left, a deep cross and a header found the corner of the net.

Half Time 0-2.

Times gone by we might have seen some heads drop but not this time. A quick attack from H&D finished up in Maher’s gloves and a quick throw sent Smith free. A chip found Butler and a good shot flashed by the post.

Elsom, Watkins and Vining worked space and a good effort arrowed for the top of the net was palmed out. A snap counter and Kelly shot across to give away a corner. Maher did the business taking the ball from under the bar.

Butler wriggled past his marker half way through the half but a half volley went straight to the keeper.

The mid field was active for a period but both Hall and Smith had the edge.

Nicolson came off to give Zanin a run and only 4 minutes had elapsed when Zanin got on the end of Butlers cross to slam the ball in the net. 1-2.

In the last ten minutes we pushed and probed but H&D survived with some good time wasting moments but arguably the right thing to grab the points.

Result 1-2.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster