Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Hamworthy Rec vs Verwood Town 04-Aug-20


Pace and accuracy saw Wimborne overrun us from the whistle. Mayer had to produce a fine save with only seconds gone as a daisy cutter sped for the bottom corner. Mayer’s handling was first class preventing us going behind.

On 2 minutes on the clock and a break down Wimborne’s right finished with a low cross that was hammered past Mayer from the edge of the box. 0-1. The shock tested character and we came through with flying colours.

Watkins and Danvers tightened their grip on the flanks and a superb central pairing of Kelly and Elsom watered down a central threat.

Butler and Evans worked the right and Evans went close with a volley from the edge of the box.

A long clearance was policed by Elsom. Good feet took control. Coasting through midfield Elsom released Zanin. Zanin’s pace took him past his marker and a deep cross was hammered just wide by Butler.

Wimborne urged on by their line, upped the pace. We matched it. Davies proved to be a Wimborne obstacle in the middle of the park and Glatzel’s strength in the tackle kept a very dangerous forward line at bay.

Danvers was instrumental in a counter attack robbing the ball and sending Evans free. A cross found Zanin but this time Zanin’s shot was down the keepers throat.

Mayer had to perform again in a short Wimbornne burst but was equal to the threat.

Pace was a big feature but our pre season proved a major factor in performance.

An attack after 38 minutes was broken up by Kelly. On to Elsom and a surging run took him past a couple of midfielders. A through ball found Butler and his low cross was hammered into the roof of the net. 1-1.

Half Time 1-1

Sammy Glatzel and Callum Mayer made way at half time for Russ Dyer and Shane Cooper to stretch legs.

Nicolson had been a thorn in Wimborne’s right flank during the first half and must have been the subject of a special instruction to Wimborne’s defenders. 1 minute old and Nicolson found himself bulldozed off the pitch. The free kick dropped for Evans but a scything tackle floored him. Another free kick but this time cleared from inside the box.

Zanin rounded his marker with 5 minutes gone and a good ball split Wimborne’s defence giving Butler space to try a run. Butler had been awarded a shadow but managed to wriggle free. His low shot was scrambled off the line by the keeper.

8 minutes and Eddicott came on for Elsom. Eddicott had early baptism scrapping for the ball in a midfield merry go round.

We maintained pressure and should have scored but good defending and an on form keeper kept the score at 1-1 until half way through the half. A slight lapse in concentration let Wimborne through and a rising shot made it 1-2.

The game see sawed but produced no more goals. It was a good work out for both teams.

Result 1-2

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster