Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Petersfield Town vs Verwood Town 28-Apr-2012


Our last game of the season and a full Verwood contingent pitched up at Petersfield with spectators on one coach and the team in another.

Although we had edged our way to head the division by one point, we wanted to clinch a clear distance between us and second place, taking the three points on offer.

For 10 minutes it was scrappy as the teams settled. Petersfield were up for it and a snap raid down their left followed by a cross shot gave an indication as to their intent. Lynch wasn't troubled by the effort and a quick throw to Anderton set up a counter attack. It fizzled out as we lost passing quality in the middle of the park.

Homer forced his way down our left and cut inside the area. A slow shot beat the keeper and rebounded off the inside of the post. Haskell, always the predator, followed in and side footed the ball past the keeper to put us ahead. 1-0.

We got better and created opportunities. 17 minutes and Satterley took a through ball, passed on to Haskell who rounded the keeper to make it 2-0.

Petersfield dug in and 21 minutes gone a good passing move took them through the middle of the park resulting in a cross shot that brought Lynch a hand clap for a flying save.

Haskell fired wide with 15 minutes of the half left and Satterley should have scored from 10 yards but put it wide.

Petersfield spluttered for the first part of the first half but gradually ground us down with resilience in defence and a midfield sparking a bout of attacking play that tested Kelly and Delaney to the limit. Anderton and Evans were very well occupied with two lively flank players and Lynch had to be constantly on his toes.

We slipped back to a lackadaisical attitude and Petersfield should have reduced arrears during this period. Shots hit the side netting a couple went high and wide but a couple did bring out excellent stops by Lynch.

Gajic fought hard to bring some stability to play but we couldn't maintain passing accuracy. We were taught a lesson in approach work and with a couple of minutes left of the half should have gone in at 45 minutes 2-1 as a clear chance was squandered.

Adie Arnold, flowing hair streaming in the wind, headed for the dressing room to impart the message about wanting three points.

Half Time 2-0.

Adrenalin must have been the half time drink for the home side. Only two minutes on the clock and good approach work on their right got round the back of our defence. Kelly had read the danger and a timely hoof up field gave a breather.

2 minutes later Petersfield again broke through and a right foot blaster was tipped over the bar by Lynch. The corner dipped into the six yard box and Gajic did well to head clear.

We rallied. 11 minutes gave way for our first real attack of the half and it was Homer linking with Dyer who went close. The keeper made a good catch and a long throw was intercepted by Webb. A pass wide, a Homer cross and there was Haskell to notch a hat trick. 3-0.

We should have felt safe but there was something about a perky Petersfield that had caution written in to the script.

Haskell decided his hat trick was a great way for him to finish the season so came off to give Nathan Saxby a run.

We lost concentration and a sloppy defence gave the ball away. A runner and a score line of 3-1.

Stung into retaliation and a string of good passing released Saxby. 4-1.

Smith came on for Webb and before settling in we almost went another one down as a shot whistled only a couple of inches over the bar.v Saxby and Dyer broke through and Dyer's shot went just wide.

Lynch then had to produce one of his better saves as Petersfield hit back.

Delaney and Kelly cleared our lines and Evans raced back to make a crucial tackle with a few minutes left.

Anderton came off for Wrixton and as we again settled Petersfield took the opportunity to rattle in a second from a great move. 4-2.

Another break should have given Petersfield a third but this time Lynch took a clean catch under pressure.

The whistle went on a 4-2 win.

Score 4-2

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster