Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Pewsey Vale 31-Mar-2012


Pre match chat was geared towards a good start with emphasis on wanting the ball. For a change ear wax had been cleared and we chased down everything. Gajic led the charge winning a tussle in the middle of the park and a cross field ball to Dyer sent Dyer free on the left. A cross intended for the penalty spot whistled over the bar.

We won a free kick. Homer dropped the ball in the six yard box and Haskell pounced to slip the ball past the keeper. 1-0 and with only 3 minutes gone. Pewsey hit back but Delaney read the danger and won the tackle. A ball over the back four gave Haskell a chance but the keeper was quickly off his line to gather. Pewsey stretched us on the right and a cross was well read by Lynch. A throw found Evans and we countered with Wrixton breaking free but driving the ball past the post.

We kept up pressure. Homer Webb and Anderton worked the ball down the left and a cross was headed over the bar by Haskell.

Pewsey slipped into gear half way through the half and Kelly had to make a couple of telling headers to clear our lines. Some good approach work by Pewseys mid field pushed us back and a great sliding tackle by Delaney stopped entry into the area.

26 minutes gone and a clearance from the Pewsey keeper dropped a couple of feet into our half. Delaney spotted a chance and dipped the ball over the keeper but wide of the post.

30 minutes we were still pushing forward. Both Evans and Anderton were on overlap duty and a deep cross from Anderton was well caught by the keeper with predator Haskell lurking in the box.

31 minutes and another clearance from Pewsey’s defence fell to Wrixton in the middle of the park. A quick shuffle left and a pass to Anderton created space.. Anderton slammed the ball 30 yards low past the keeper. 2-0.

2 minutes later Evans made a break on the right and a brilliant cross found Haskell racing in but Haskell’s waving left peg missed the ball.

Back came Pewsey. A good move down their left and a cross had Lynch clawing the ball away from danger.

A minute left and we pressed forward. Evans made the break and another excellent cross found Homer racing in from the left. Homer’s header deserved more than clipping the bar and sailing over.

Half Time 2-0

The second half started with a Pewsey substitution. The crowd thought the player had hemorrhaging feet. They were the brightest coloured boots we had seen grace the Verwood turf in many years. Luckily Webb is colour blind so the first ball to land at the end of the rainbow was won and sent wide to Homer. A deep cross forced the need for a good clearance. The clearance was intercepted by Delaney, a lob into the box dropped behind the back four, but we couldn’t capitalise and a good chance went begging.

Anderton and Homer worked the left flank and a square ball gave Wrixton an opportunity but yet again we missed the target.

We then went through a ragged period as Pewsey hit back. Our passing was woeful and the middle of the park looked like a scrap yard. Bits and pieces belonged to Pewsey.

22 minutes and a cross from Pewsey’s right wanted a mere touch from either of two players in the box. It was our day, both sets of boots failed to connect. 71 minutes and Dan Rose came on for Dave Wrixton. Rose was immediately employed chasing down a Homer cross. The ball dropped kindly for the keeper though so we had to watch a balloon clearance drop onto the edge of our box. Up went Kelly and a good header cleared the danger.

7 minutes later and the same combination of Homer and Rose split Pewsey on the right but Rose couldn’t beat the keeper.

81 minutes and some good football sparked by Gajic worked through mid field to the edge of Pewsey’s box. Someone said Haskell had made an intelligent run but it must have been a contradiction of terms. None the less Haskell slipped through the defence and squared back to Gajic. Gajic hit the ball on the volley but yet again….wide.

Off came Webb to give Dear a run in mid field.

85 minutes Haskell placed a header on Homer’s feet. A chip to Rose and a defender’s arm meant a penalty. Up stepped Gajic. 3-0.

Alarm bells went with 2 minutes left as we lost concentration for a split second and Lynch had to make a cracking save to keep a clean sheet.

Sam Sheppard has always needed a long time to warm up. With 89 minutes gone, he was ready and came on for Russell Dyer. The whistle went before Sam could influence the game.

Final Score 3-0

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster