Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs United Services POortsmouth 25-Feb-2012


Last week's result hung over the dressing room like the sword of Damocles. It was vital we had a change of attitude and return to winning ways.

Back came Luke Homer and Matt Delaney. Added to the team was new signing Steve Liddell and the bench looked solid as well.

USP arrived with their usual upbeat frame of mind and were out of the blocks to organize the first attack down their right. Homer blocked the cross and a line ball found Dyer. A quick cross and Gajic raced in to try a shot from the edge of the box. Bushes at the back of goal stopped the shot travelling too far up Verwood Road.

It was a good opening with both teams committed to playing open football.

Liddell's strong challenge in the middle of the park stopped a run on goal and releasing the ball centrally sent Haskell away. Satterley cut across the back, received a slide rule pass and tested the keeper with a low shot to the keepers left.

5 minutes saw Gajic try a shot and then a minute later Delaney sparked a move with Satterley going wide right and sending across the area a low cross that was well saved by the keeper.

8 minutes gone and Homer joined the attack firing a shot high and wide.

USP hit back with a good move left and Lynch did well to gather high, under pressure. A throw down the middle was intercepted and a cracking drive meant another fine save from Lynch.

13 minutes and Homer swung a cross field ball to Gajic. A break down our right and the cross was intercepted by the keeper.

The mid field was a test for our new pairing of Smith and Liddell and it was evens on competitive edge.

Halfway through the half…. Deja vu. We stood off and USP had a golden period where they could have gone ahead. Our defence was better this week though and we survived a shaky period.

Satterley and Haskell gained advantages as the half progressed and with four minutes left Haskell laid back to Satterley for a volley to fly past the keeper and send us in at half time 1-0 ahead.

Half Time 1-0

The malady of lack luster performances seemed as if would take over. We again 'eased' our way into the game. USP could have drawn level with a break taking them to the outside of the area but Delaney stood firm and the ball was cleared.

We were ten minutes into the half before any sign of battling for the ball was evident. Liddell won a tussle and swinging the ball wide to Satterley set up an attack down the right. Satterley tried a shot. The ball was beaten out and Dyer swept in to smash the ball high and wide.

A minute later Delaney and Kelly combined to stop a central attack. Delaney slipped the ball up field to Satterley then to Haskell back to Satterley, a chip to clear the keeper but again over the bar.

12 minutes and USP were seen to be playing a more accurate passing game than us. Lynch stopped a couple of shots from the edge of the area and Elysee had to make a timely sliding tackle to stop a dangerous cross getting into the box.

Homer hit the side netting half way through the half and then yet again Haskell put the ball over the bar from close in.

27 minutes, Gajic won the ball on the half way line, out to Satterley a low cross to Haskell and from 4 yards Haskell blasted the ball. The keeper performed heroics in diving across the goal line and body blocking the effort from crossing the line.

It was end to end and with ten minutes left USP broke from their right and a cross shot shaved the post.

Straight back to USP area and Haskell had a shot beaten out. The ball landed nicely but Haskell's return volley would have had NASA proud of the trajectory and speed.

6 minutes left and USP mounted a series of attacks. In Sir Alex Ferguson's repertoire is the term 'squeaky bum time' this was ours.

Lynch stopped a shot low in the corner. Kelly headed out a volley and Homer made a brilliant tackle to stop a cross on the edge of the box. It was capped by a tackle in the box by Elysee taking the ball clean from a toe just about to stab the ball goalward.

A counter attack in the 89th minute found Haskell breaking free and turning provider set up Satterley for a shot….2-0. Still it wasn't over.

91 minutes and USP hammered their reply…2-1. 94 minutes the whistle went on another attack from USP but the score remained 2-1 for a valuable three points.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster