Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Tadley Calleva vs Verwood Town 18-Feb-2012


Delaney, Webb, Evans and Homer were all missing for this game but we were helped by the return of Martin Smith.

We started well with a deep cross from Satterley that Haskell converted to a shot only to see it ricochet off a defender and the post before flying into dead ball. 2 minutes later Haskell laid back to Dyer and a 20 yarder was well saved by the keeper at the foot of the post. It was a good solid start.

Tadley's response was a quick break down their left winning a corner. Luckily it was blazed wide.

We stood back and became complacent. The mid field was deteriorating and every second ball had Tadley's name written on it. 8 minutes gone and Tadley should have gone in front when a brilliant cross field ball dropped between our centre backs and was allowed to be volleyed for goal. Again we were lucky to see the ball flash wide of the post but only by a coat of varnish.

We showed a sign of recovery half way through the half stringing some decent passes together and Barnett sparked hope when winning a ball sent Satterley away. Satterley bore down on goal outstripping his marker. The shot though didn't trouble the keeper.

24 minutes and pressure paid off when a ball was half cleared from the Tadley box and Satterley wasted no time in blasting it back through the defence to notch the first of the game. 1-0.

Tadley hit back down the right and Lynch was hard pressed to make a good catch just under the bar.

We looked lethargic by comparison to recent performances and it was a worrying period to half time as we gave ground to a team eager for the ball and to pick up three points.

We dug deep but it was the defence who had the hard work in keeping a clean sheet to the half time whistle.

Tadley looked to be gaining confidence as the half closed on a score line of 1-0.

The half time chat was still ringing in ears when we kicked off. A minute later we picked the ball out of the back of the net as a Tadley player jinked his way past three defenders and slammed the ball past a despairing Lynch. 1-1.

Tails up Tadley worked hard and deserved winning second balls as we slipped downhill steadily giving up possession and space for the home team to work in.

Kelly diverted a point blank shot just inside the area and then Lynch had to dive low right to palm away a shot destined for the bottom corner.

15 minutes and we had a brief rally. Barnett delivered a good ball to Haskell and a shot on the turn was deflected for a corner. A big boot cleared the danger but the sad thing was the time the big boot had to make sure the ball cleared the area.

The mid field belonged to Tadley. Both flanks were being serviced and both Wilson and Dear had a torrid time as Tadley pressed forward.

Haskell and Satterley could have gone home. Little service and a lack of support meant gardening leave. Dyer tried a long shot but it was an easy pick up by the keeper.

Smith's header cleared a high ball from inside the box sending up field. A Barnett shot was diverted for a corner. Kelly joined Haskell in the box and a point blank header produced an instinctive save by the keeper.

Gajic tried a shot from outside the box but we had nothing to worry the Tadley defence with.

A run down the right a cross and we failed to pick up a runner. A cross shot flew across Lynch but a strong right hand turned the ball away.

79 minutes and terrible defending gave oceans of room for a shot to be placed wide of Lynch's left hand to give Tadley the lead. 1-2.

There wasn't much effort showing and the worry was that we should go further behind. Lack luster tackling gave another opportunity but Tadley wasted the chance to put three past us.

We left with what we deserved…nothing. The score 1-2.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster