Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report AFC Portchester vs Verwood Town 28-Jan-2012


A high scoring Portchester and a mean Verwood defence was a major attraction as well with both teams vying for a top spot.

We started well. 2 minutes old and an Evans throw found Gajic…inside to Haskell…back wide to Gajic…a low cross wanted only a touch to occupy the score board but no one had followed in so the ball was allowed to gently roll over the line for a dead ball kick.

Portchester hit back and Lynch was off his line quickly to gather a dangerous cross from the right. His throw to Dear was knocked up the line and Homer swiftly hit the cross into the box. Haskell was beaten by inches by a good goalkeeper.

Portchester swept into the attack with 5 minutes gone and this time it was Delaney who won the header sending away Homer again. A ball inside was picked up by Webb … on to Dyer and a cross field ball released Satterley. A run on goal, a low shot but the keeper palmed away the effort to the centre half who lost no time in whipping the ball wide left. Evans raced to cut out space but the ball was high into the box before he was able to challenge. Lynch again showed safe hands.

It was cut and thrust with good football and accurate passing.

11 minutes and we got the breakthrough. Satterley won a corner. In it came and Delaney connected with his left peg to see the ball whistle through legs into the bottom corner. 1-0.

5 minutes later Portchester scored a good goal while we slept at the back. 1-1.

We were under the cosh. Tails up, Portchester delivered several attacks. Lynch watched one attempt clear the bar then Dear blocked a shot in the box destined for the net.

Delaney and Kelly won headers to keep the score sheet level but Portchester's attacking flair paid off when a corner was headed past Lynch to make it 1-2.

We fought our way back into the game and Homer went close. Then Satterley slammed the ball just wide on the half hour.

44 minutes and Haskell rose high to put a forceful header past the keeper….2-2.

We all looked forward to the second half.

Half Time 2-2

Both teams emerged nicely honed for the second half.

A clearance from Portchester was won by a determined mid field and a wide ball had Portchester round the back of our defence before we settled. Dear took the ball clean in a sliding tackle and Homer picked up the loose ball sending it for Satterley to race free and try a shot that unfortunately whistled wide.

It was a good start with both teams committed to win the game. It was this though that caused the change to the game with 51 minutes gone.

The ball was cleared from Portchetster's defence resulting in a free ball to be won. A player from each side raced in and clashed. Evans was a little bit later than the Portchester player. 6 minutes was lost while treatment was effected but Portchester had to sub. Evans thought he had a yellow but was flabbergasted to get a red. 10 men. We re-shuffled and got on with it.

Gajic went close and then Dyer hit a rocket that went wide. Adrenalin helped as we gave as good as we got.

Portchester were still pushing hard and playing some excellent football. Tackles meant no prisoners and although we had a couple of instances for trainer treatment there were no serious injuries.

Lynch dived right to palm a shot away from the area and then quickly rose high to catch a high cross.

A change to shape was needed as Portchester ground out a series of attacks. Wilson came on at full back as we gave way at the front end. Wilson got stuck in right away but was cruelly judged to have given away a corner when it was a blatant dead ball kick. In came the corner to alter the game as it finished up in the net 2-3.

We hit back with sterling work from Kelly and Delaney. Haskell went close and then Dyer again hit a screamer but watched it go wide.

Portchester had a couple of flurries but with a couple of minutes left we had the edge winning a free kick but only again to watch it go over the bar. The game finished with a win for Portchester

Full Time 2-3

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster