Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Amesbury Town vs Verwood Town 2-Jan-2012


Before Amesbury had a chance to settle Gajic went wide right and dropped an inch perfect cross on to Homer’s left peg. The ball whipped past the keeper and we were one up in 18 seconds.

We pressed forward again. A minute on the clock and Haskell slipped a ball through Amesbury’s back line giving Satterley a one on one. A flag prevented the shot.

5 minutes and Homers shot hit the side netting. 6 minutes Haskell’s header went over the bar. 7 minutes and Haskell shrugged off close attention from a defender and a quick turn gave space for a right foot low shot to hit the back of the net. 2-0.

A great start but all credit to the home team for getting their defence together and providing a barrier for Haskell & Co.

A rallying call from a very capable No.5 began the fight back. Lynch caught a high ball and then Kelly stooped low to divert a shot destined for goal.

Evans and Dear dug in and the Webb Dyer combination in the middle of the park had to fight very hard to keep possession. Amesbury pressed forward.

Lynch made a good catch from a right flank cross and we struggled for a while to string consecutive passes together. Morrison and Kelly made a strong pairing but Amesbury’s capability in switching the ball almost paid off as they broke on their left and a cross was miscued giving us breathing space.

Gajic took a heavy tackle and had to come off with a deep cut on the knee On came Barnet. Homer carried on Dear’s pass with a run down the left and a cross found Satterley. A turn on the edge of the box and a low through ball gave space for Haskell to race on and try a shot but the keeper flew across the goal to palm away the attempt.

We got back on top towards the end of the half and a barrage of attacks should have yielded but a defence in numbers proved a solid barrier.

Homer went close…. Haskell dipped a header over the bar and Barnet hit the side netting as we closed the half.

Half time 2-0

48 minutes and Barnet looped a right foot shot past the keeper to give us a great start to the second half. 3-0.

No Amesbury head dropped. Quite the reverse. A good move on their right resulted in a shot being topped and going wide. The dead ball kick landed kindly in the centre backs care and a huge wallop saw the ball just wide of our area being chased in to the box. Lynch raced out and headed clear.

51 minutes and Amesbury broke through to bury the ball in the bottom corner. 3-1.

It woke us up. A minute later a sweeping move with accurate passing for a change released Homer for a run on goal. No mistake this time….4-1.

It was end to end for a while during which Evans took the sting out of an attack and then Haskell headed over the bar from a Barnet cross.

Dyer tried a long shot and then Homer slammed the ball into the side netting. Dyer Webb and Satterley moved the ball quickly through the middle and then tried his luck with a dipping shot. The keeper palmed the ball away and sparked an Amesbury attack. Dear got in the way and played back to Lynch. A long kick and Webb was unceremoniously dropped outside the box. The free kick was easily cleared.

73 minutes and we worked a path through the middle. Homer drifted across the box, found space and steered the ball low past the keeper for number 5.

74 minutes and Amesbury cut through our defence like a hot knife through butter. Lynch had no chance and the score line moved to 5-2.

We were pegged back as Amesbury gathered confidence. A rasping shot was well taken by Lynch and then it was Evans making a great tackle on the edge of the box to keep goals against limited.

Haskell got number 6 after 79 minutes had elapsed with a well placed shot from just inside the area.

Barnet then hit the side netting as we pressed forward. Dyer chipped the ball over the bar and then Webb shot high and wide with a couple of minutes left.

89 minutes and we were caught pushing up too far. A ball over our back four was picked up and was in the net before Lynch had a chance to close down the runner.

Full time 6-3

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster