Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Whitchurch United vs Verwood Town 17-Dec-2011


Matt Delaney had to miss this one because of a special invitation to visit inmates at Risley. Charlie Elysee phoned in late to say he had to work (Unusual event) so the squad was supplemented with Ali Gajic and Kris Anderton taking up bench space.

Whitchurch made the first break opening up the right hand side and a low shot was brilliantly saved by Lynch. A quick throw to Evans and we mounted a counter attack. Satterley went wide right to collect a good pass and a quick cross found Homer. Homer's shot was well taken by the keeper.

A minute later Evans chipped a ball overt the backs and Haskell's downward header dropped fo Satterley to go wide right. A deep cross caused a defensive muddle and Haskell following in knocked the ball wide of the keeper. 1-0.

A good start and for a few minutes we looked as if we could double the tally. Poor finishing and some good defensive work from the home side kept the score down.

Gajic was relishing a central role and found room in the middle to set up a Homer volley. The keeper did well to palm away the shot.

Satterley Haskell and Gajic then linked to push forward and Haskell rounded off the move with a rising shot over the bar.

Whitchurch were coming more into the game and some superb football carved us open. Luckily K4elly and Smith were covering well and with Lynch alert and showing a safe pair of hands we withstood the pressure.

We pushed forward and almost paid the price as we left a gap at the back. A race for the ball was won by Evans who put the ball in the stand.

Dyer almost sprung the home sides defence with a mazy run and shot but again our shooting left a lot to be desired.

Haskell and Gajic had opportunities and then Homer slammed a shot into the side netting.

The game then went to Whitchurch as we lost the middle of the park.

We rallied towards the end of the half but couldn't break the defensive shield thrown up by the home side.

Half Time 1-0

15 minutes rest period did more for Whitchurch than it did for us. Out they came and within seconds gave sign of their intent for the second half. Helping more than anything else was the room we gave them and poor anticipation.

Wilson was left stranded on the left as a sweeping move went from the flank to the middle and back again. A low centre was volleyed for goal but a flapping Lynch hand turned the ball away for a corner.

In it came and Smith powered a header out of the box. It fell though to a galloping centre half who wasted no time in planting the ball back again into the area. Lynch came out to punch clear and then Evans slammed the ball out into touch.

We had a brief respite during which Gajic tried a shot that went wide. Satterley went clear to fire wide and then Haskell planted a half volley over the bar. That was it . A brief flurry of activity and we then sat back giving up the middle again, to watch Whitchurch move the ball accurately through our ranks.

54 minutes we paid the price as Whitchurch swept through to plant the ball low past Lynch to level the score. 1-1.

64 minutes and a double substitution was made by Adie Arnold and Mark Beverley. On came Barnet and Dear off came Webb and Wilson. The change to formation took a little time to settle, and the home side pushed us back again. Smith blocked a shot on the edge of the box and Dyer putting in an extra shift took the ball away from danger as forwards closed in.

We got ourselves together. We had been on the rack for a while but character showed through and we fought back. Dear and Evans used their pace to link up with forwards and we peppered the home goal but unfortunately without result.,

Barnet took a knock and came off for Kris Anderton to make his debut. Only seconds had elapsed when Anderton's head was full of mud as he got under a high ball destined for runners. Haskell picked up the loose missile and a pass wide cleared the way for Gajic to run on goal. A shot from the edge of the box was well saved.

Whitchurch counter attacked and this time it was Kelly who blocked progress clearing with very little finesse.

The game finished 1-1. We felt we had shed 2 points…. Whitchurch felt they should have increased their point tally. We both had to settle for one each.

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster