Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Wimborne Town 2-Nov-2011


After a very wet afternoon the rain cleared in time to allow a big crowd to build up for this fascinating local derby, by a long way Verwood’s biggest attendance this season. After returning to the side on Saturday Charlie Elysee was absent this evening and this gave an opportunity to Craig Barnett in midfield, who was starting a game for the first time since the end of September.

Verwood started the game very brightly, clearly full of confidence following their recent fine run of league victories. After enjoying the best of the early play we went ahead after 5 minutes when Evans found himself in space on the right and fired a low hard shot which whistled into the corner of the net. Wimborne must have wondered what had hit them. 1-0

We quickly showed this was not a flash in the pan as on 8 minutes we worked another opening on the edge of the box but Homer’s shot went over. 13 minutes and Gajic’s cross come shot was only just wide of curling in at the far post. Two minutes later we forced a corner, Homer played it long and Delaney headed back into the goalmouth where Haskell was first to meet the ball but his header was off target. Almost immediately another cross from Homer had the defence scrambling and grateful to clear it away for another corner. At this point any neutrals in the crowd would have been forgiven for wondering which team was in the Southern League.

It took Wimborne 18 minutes to force their first corner and their first real opening came with it. A short well worked corner was curled into the danger area and nobody could stop Kemble’s glancing header from reaching the net and the scores were level 1-1. Ten minutes of play followed with both teams battling for supremacy and Verwood matching the visitors step for step but no real chances at either end. Suddenly on 28 minutes Dyer’s deft little ball in to Haskell saw his quick shot on target deflected for a corner.

35 minutes gone and Wimborne were starting to look dangerous. A low cross from the right led to a shot which was deflected for a corner. Soon after a free kick just inside our half was floated to the far post where former Verwood player Jamison beat everybody to the ball but watched his header hit the side netting. We were now finding it a little harder to create chances but two minutes before the break Homer’s free kick was headed into the danger area but the visitors cleared their lines and we reached half time deservedly on level terms if not a little unlucky not to be ahead.

Wimborne were the first to show their hand in the second half after 49 minutes when a shot had Lynch beaten and was on it’s way into the net when Kelly somehow hooked it to safety. It took us another 10 minutes to create our first opening of the second half when Homer’s cross was cleared for a corner, the result of which saw Delaney’s header drop wide of the post. Straight away Gajic pounced on Haskell’s header but shot over the bar. We were still in this tie in a big way but Wimborne were starting to look more and more dangerous and were getting one or two opportunities that we had not afforded them in the first half.

On 66 minutes Dyer hit a long range effort from 25 yards which had the accuracy but not quite the venom to seriously trouble the keeper. Up the other end and a very similar effort from Wimborne was also well collected by Lynch. 71 minutes and another effort from range from Dyer this time caused the goalie trouble but he managed to scramble across and palm the shot away. The corner found its way into the box via Gajic but with it bobbling around on the edge of the six-yard box Haskell slipped at the crucial moment as he was lining up the final touch.

Into the final 20 minutes and we were now looking like we were feeling the effects of the terrific battle we had been involved in. Chances were coming for Wimborne at fairly regular intervals. On 73 minutes a good shot on the turn produced a fantastic save from Lynch. Shortly after they should have scored when a headed clearance from our defence couldn’t clear the penalty area but with time on his hands the Wimborne player shot wide. With less than 10 minutes on the clock two more chances came Wimborne’s way in quick succession. The first shot from the edge of the box flashed wide and then within a minute a point blank effort was brilliantly saved again by Lynch who was by now performing heroics. A wise crack in the crowd suggested he could have a go at fixing the temporary p.a system but that seemed to be a task beyond help!!!!

With legs tiring manager Arnold introduced Freeman as a substitute on 86 minutes for Barnett who had given his all for the cause. But heartbreak followed just after for the home team when Wimborne created one more chance and this time they made no mistake when Kemble fired home. 1-2 . Even though everyone could sense this might be coming it was still at the very least a little harsh on Verwood, some would say downright cruel. We didn’t give up and battled to the very end getting in to the Wimborne danger area once or twice but not quite able to create that killer chance. The final whistle went and it wasn’t to be but every single person connected with Verwood can hold their head high.

Report submitted by Steve Jefferis

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster