Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report United Services Verwood Town vs Tadley Calleva 24-Sep-2011


Saxby and Gajic looked as if they had had adrenalin shots. From the ball rolling off the centre circle we were treated to a much higher work rate than we are accustomed to.

4 minutes ad Saxby raced past the full back and unleashed a cracking effort the keeper did well to palm out. In came Haskell to plant a header for goal but the ball sailed wide of the post.

Gajic closed down an attempt to work the ball through the mid field and a a pass wide to Homer split Tadley at the back. Homer's low shot hit the side netting.

Tadley got their game together and some good football saw them in front of goal. A 'rasper' made Fawcett dive low to make a good save.

Tadley then strung several attacks together and pressure was applied to our left hand side. Wilson was under fire but made a couple of good interceptions stopping entry into our box. A sweeping move though with 20 minutes gone had us at sixes and sevens and it was Fawcett again making a great save to keep the score sheet blank.

Gajic and Saxby linked up to test the keeper and then Haskell tried a low volley but agonised as it went wide.

Barnet enjoyed a bit of room and sparking a move with Homer finished the attack with a shot that just cleared the bar.

Delaney's presence was welcome as the chat and direction from the back retained discipline.

Evans continued excellence in the back four helped to keep things tight, and we looked quite solid until with two minutes left on the clock Tadley broke through and a delicate chip over Fawcett sent us in at half time 0-1 down.

Half Time 0-1

Only one minute old and a long ball over our defence was taken down by Wilson under pressure. A neat pass to Fawcett took the sting out of the threat on goal.

Tadley pressed us back. Freeman's sliding tackle with a couple of minutes gone was judged to perfection as it stopped a shot just inside the box.

50 minutes and on came Ben Kelly making his return to the Club after a short spell in a lower class footballing environment.

Freeman made ground and a chip to Haskell was chested on to Dyer. A quick ball across the park and in raced Homer to smash a low shot for goal. Tadley's keeper made a brilliant save.

55 minutes a Saxby cross dropped onto the edge of the box and Homer again connected but this time the ball rifled into the roof of the net to bring the score level at 1-1.

Haskell then tried a volley but Tadley's keeper was having a cracking game and stopped the low shot from creeping in at the foot of the post.

Dyer intercepted a pass across the Tadley box and a switch ball to Haskell gave another opportunity for our current chart topper to increase his season's total. It wasn't to be. The keeper yet again did the business and the score remained at 1-1.

Gajic tried and then Homer had an effort saved.

Tadley retaliated with a smart move down their left and a cross into the box was headed clear by Evans.

Evans then raced forward to link with Saxby. A break through on the right gave space for a cross and Haskell rose high to head goalwards. The keeper took the ball clean from just under the bar.

88 minutes and Homer made the three points safe by working his way into the area and firing a low shot past the keeper.

Full Time 2-1

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster