Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Horndean 20-Aug-2011


Last week's display was taken hard by most of our management but none more than Roy Mortimer who's still in Hospital after suffering a suspected heart attack!! So....get well soon Roy but please cherry pick your games.

18 traipsed to the pitch and dug out for the kick off. When we checked, half of them were spectators avoiding paying gate money!!

It started OK. Then on 3 minutes Liam Morrison pulled up sharp with a hamstring problem. Off he came. Chas Elysee came off the bench to take up right back spot and Dean Evans moved across to sweep.

8 minutes old and we had been under pressure for most of them. Evans was the hero a couple of times with good interceptions and Fawcett was made to produce a good save when a long distance shot whipped through the defence heading for goal. Fawcett saw it late but pulled the ball out of the air with safe hands.

Horndean kept up the pressure but with 15 minute gone we were starting to produce better football and playing with a desire for the ball.

Haskell and Lovell had been working hard up front but the partnership was dismantled with Lovell taking up the centre half spot. Haskell ploughed a lone furrow for a while and we lacked penetration.

We produced a good move with 19 minutes gone and Haskell blocked the keeper's clearance on the edge of the box. Freeman picked up the rebound and tried a low shot. The keeper stretched and managed to divert the ball with his feet.

The game was end to end. Wilson Evans and Lovell caught the eye with good defending.

When we did get into a shooting position we were generally way off target.

Half Time 0-0

Adie Arnold's words of wisdom had fallen on deaf ears. Added to which....Murray on for Mike Toy.

4 minutes gone and off came Elysee with a thigh problem, on went Brad Aspin.

The pack was shuffled again. Unfortunately the pack produced more jokers than aces.

We lost our way. Passing was bad and our desire for the ball was lost.

52 minutes Horndean were clean through but shot wide. We bounced back with Evans creating a move on the left. Saxby carried on the move with a pass inside to Haskell. Haskell slipped the ball through a tight defence to find Aspin. Back for Murray and a side foot made it easy for the keeper.

55 minutes and the inevitable.... a low cross, a back heel in the box and a free shot at goal gave Horndean the lead. 0-1.

2 minutes later we looked like Bobby Charlton's hair style as Hordean trotted through space but luckily got whistled up for offside.

64 minutes and a corner found an unmarked player on the near post....0-2.

67 minutes and Horndean looking the much sharper and fitter of the teams peppered the box giving Lovell and Evans a chance to shine.

70 minutes a free kick 25 yards out found a head...0-3.

Diarrhoea would best describe the way Horndean ran through us. We allowed space and time and in the 78th minute a simple chip into our box was headed past a dejected Fawcett to close the scoring at 0-4.

We had showed some character though...pity it resembled Mr. Magoo.

Final score 0-4..... and early exit from the FA Cup

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster