Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Hamworthy Rec vs Verwood Town 4-Aug-2011


Hamworthy looked by far the slicker of the two sides in the opening minutes. Good passing and movement off the ball gave us something to chase.

Ali Gajic and Liam Morrison fortunately had developed a quick understanding and stopped a break on goal with only a couple of minutes gone.

Evans collected the spinning ball from Gajic's tackle and making ground on the left delivered a telling ball into the box. Haskell had tracked the attack and a cracking header flew into the roof of the net.

Only 3 minutes gone and we were one up. A great start but Hamworthy's unrelenting attacks rolled over into our box. Lynch made a couple of god saves but generally our defence coped well with the pressure.

We got better as the half progressed. Barnet and Walton were now on top in the mid field and with a pacy Saxby working off the ball we looked dangerous on the break.

Lynch was back in action half way through the half making a good save on the edge of the area and then a minute later racing out to boot the ball clear with a couple of forwards closing in.

28 min Evans was back on the overlap and a cross found Saxby. A snap shot went just wide of the post.

32 minutes and it was Hamworthy's turn to try a shot. Freeman cut across the effort but it was Lynch who finished the stop with a tremendous dive.

40 minutes and a Haskell / Saxby move made the keeper work hard. His long kick up field though caught us out and a chip just over Lynch sent the teams in at ..........

Half Time...........1-1

Changes on both sides heralded the start of the second half. Lovell Gajic (Chas) and James Murray came on for us and it was Murray who saw the first of the action. A good tackle forced a throw in. Gajic threw the ball high and down the line. On went Murray and a low cross was deflected for a corner. The corner swung in low and hard but a size 12 hoofed it clear.

Lovell found himself surrounded by Hamworthy forwards but he still managed to force the ball wide to Dyer. Dyer made ground and crossed for Haskell. A turn inside his marker gave room and a low shot brought out a great save from the keeper.

Lovell then joined the next attack and almost scored with a half volley but his effort was blocked and cleared.

54 minutes Dyer's cross was inch perfect for Haskell to climb high and plant his second header and goal of the game past a despairing keeper. 2-1.

Aspin then appeared from the bench. Our last substitution of the game and a push for more goals.

64 minutes and Hamworthy's approach work was excellent as they cut through the middle. It was Lynch who saved the day with a great dive palming the ball round the post. Lynch followed up with a good high catch to clear danger.

Freeman was enjoying a bit of freedom as Hamworthy tired. We were close in the wilting stakes and let in an attack that saw a rising shot magnificently tipped over the bar by Lynch.

Both sides had slowed a lot. Saxby was still full of energy and made a break with 72 minutes gone. Getting into the box it looked a certain goal but a cruel bobble robbed him of a shot. A flick back found Murray and a cross was headed down by Haskell and kicked off the line.

Hatch went close near the final whistle and we won this one 2-1 against a good side.

Full time 2-1

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster