Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Folland Sports 10-Mar-20


We were slow off the mark. 3 minutes, a set piece by Folland luckily was headed over the bar. It was quickly followed by some good approach work and it took a Gajic sliding tackle (earning a yellow card) to stop a clear run on goal.

We rode the storm and had Danvers and Watkins gradually winning their individual battles cutting out flank threats.

10 minutes old and the lights in the bottom corner failed. We had a 12 minute hold up whilst we lit candles again.

The break had livened us up a bit. Possession became ours and a Watkins Vint move down the line finished with Vint’s shot being blocked on the line and deflected for a corner. The inswinger was headed clear before Kelly could get to it.

Taylor sparked a chance for Butler with 33 minutes gone and a rasping effort was stopped on the line by the keeper’s feet. A long clearance gave a lone runner a chance but Danvers killed hopes with fine tackle.

The game became feisty with ten minutes left and the Ref had a few words with players but no cards.

Half Time 0-0.

Folland’s chat at half time had an obvious effect as we found ourselves defending in numbers and forced to backtrack. Cooper made a fine save within the first minute followed by a Gajic timely tackle on the edge of the box. Kelly’s dominance in the air prevented a couple of aerial attacks and we gradually found our feet

Nicholson earned a yellow for a strong tackle on the edge of Folland’s box and then Dyer was fouled earning himself a free lick. A good chip into the box caused a scuffle but a big boot cleared the danger.

10 minutes and another feisty exchange in the middle of the park created an animated Folland bench bringing a reprimand from the ref. Taylor at this juncture made way for Anderton. A shuffle of the pack and Anderton joined Kelly in the back four with Gajic pushing up.

The game opened up. Good exchanges in both boxes made it a more interesting game.

23 minutes and Dyer made way for Parslow.

On 32 minutes Cooper went for a high ball in our box and was clattered by an inrushing forward. Cooper had treatment and then had to face a penalty !!!! Cooper made a brilliant save although still suffering from the clash.

36 minutes and a corner for Folland was claimed by the visitors and we trailed 0-1.

Ten minutes later they hit the bar as we wilted slightly.

Our character came through though and we made an admirable come back on 45+2 when a Butler FK created a melee in the box. Parslow had a half chance and it was enough as the ball whipped up the back of the net. 1-1.

Result 1-1<