Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Bemerton Heath vs Verwood Town 07-Mar-20


The squad was ravaged by injuries and illness through the week but we had enough stalwarts to play against promotion hopefuls Bemerton HH.

We looked sluggish in comparison to Bemerton's start and within minutes Bemerton forced a corner on their right. Cooper did well to force a passage and thump the ball away to safety.

We were pinned back by a good running side and it needed Dyer Maddocks and Hall to contain pressure in midfield. They did it admirably and gradually we found our feet almost scoring through a Pepe Smith dash down the left and crossing for Vint to shoot wide.

Josh Hall was punished for winning an arm wrestling challenge with 23 minutes on the clock but left his opponent frustrated being denied space.

Danvers robbed a runner a few minutes later and skipped a tackle on the line to chip a perfect cross for Butler to follow in. The keeper did well to hold a rasping right footer.

Bemerton still had the higher percentage of play but we were shedding the cobwebs and now winning more of the central crosses through fine defending from Anderton and Kelly.

A clash resulted in a head injury for a Bemerton player. We stopped play but Bemerton carried on. !! Net result was a cross into our box but deflected for a corner. Cooper did well to take a catch under pressure.

15 minutes left and we won a free kick. Up stepped Butler to slam the ball into the box. Claims for a corner went unheeded as the ball hit bodies and finished up over the dead ball line.

A blanket defence denied Vint a goal with 4 minutes left of the half so both teams had a clean sheet at half time.

Half Time 0-0

Ethan Maddocks had to yield to back pain at half time so Elliot Parslow came on to start the half.

We sparked. That bit of lethargy in the first half had gone and we matched energies and determination.

Hall worked the right with Dyer linking and a deep cross was inches away from Vint's toe end. Minutes later Smith delivered a great cross as we pushed on.

19 of the half gone and we got caught on the break. A cross from their right was caught on the volley putting Bemerton ahead 0-1.

We were defending well and although there was a flurry of attacking guile from the home side we had two good full backs and a solid central defensive pairing.

Half way through the half we were enjoying more of the ball and pressured Bemerton's third. 28 minutes and pressure paid off when a deep cross was planted past the keeper by Vint's head. 1-1.

13 minutes left, Pepe Smith moved inside collecting a ball threaded through by Parslow, a dip of the shoulder and a volley left he keeper with blistered hands.

In the closing few minutes Butler had an effort tipped over the bar and then Anderton almost grabbed the three points but had his effort blocked.

Result 1-1.