Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Downton vs Verwood Town 18-Jan-20


Two minutes old and Hall won the ball on our right. A defence splitting pass found Vint. Vint moved the ball on to Nicholson and Nicholson’s cross on to the far side of the box went untouched. It was a good opening of intent. Downton countered immediately. Cormack was across quickly to sweep the ball off toes giving away a corner. Cooper went high to use good hands, taking the ball from under the bar.

On 7 minutes Nicholson cut inside and a reverse pass left Hall with space to go down the line. Halls cross was inch perfect and Gajic climbed high to power a header on target. The keeper did well to palm the ball down for a full back to boot clear.

Downton won a questionable free kick in our third with 9 minutes on the clock and a well placed ball into the box was won by Downton. A good header flew past Cooper 0-1.

Our performance was a much improved one from last weeks debacle and we should have equalized as we punctured Downton’s defence with a Maddocks / Dyer link 5 minutes later. Vint went close with a volley from Dyer’s pass.

Butler almost broke away from his marker a couple of minutes later but finished up eating grass.

Downton’s counters were quick and Cooper was busy plucking high balls away from runners.

Half way through the half, Dyer rounded two defenders but was dropped by the third. Vint picked up the free kick, went wide right and hammered a low volley across the box. Downton won the race and the ball was cleared up field. Another counter but Hall cut out the threat with a great sliding tackle.

5 minutes left and Cooper again had to save the day as Downton went free on a one on one. Cooper won the tussle saving with his knees.

Half Time 0-1.

The second half start was a carbon copy of the first. Watkins won a long ball. A pass inside found Vint. Nicholson went wide to collect Vint’s pass. A clinical pass let Maddocks run free. The pitch won this one as Maddocks slipped on his way into the area and the ball was hoofed clear by the keeper.

Taylor came on for Russ Dyer 14 minutes into the half and was soon in action blocking a midfield run and freeing up Maddocks. A ball to Gajic, on to Butler and Downton’s keeper made a great save from Butler’s volley.

The game went end to end. We had good opportunities but couldn’t put the ball in the net.

Vint fired a shot over the bar and Butler just missed an opportunity close in as we pressed forward.

Matt Vining came on for Owen Nicholson and his first touch freed up Butler for a shot on goal. Again the keeper did well to hold out last effort of the game.

Result 0-2.