Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Alton vs Verwood Town 28-Dec-19


Only two minutes gone, Gajic, on to Hall, a chip over the backs and Vint was just beaten to the ball in the area by an alert keeper.

Alton got themselves together and pushed forward. Watkins stopped an attack on their left giving away a corner. Watkins took care of the inswinger but gave away another corner. Dyer took care of this one heading clear.

The mid field contest was good to watch. Hall and Gajic matched Alton’s endeavours with a solid display. Alton’s switch on play was expected, More long balls into channels followed but our back four were solid with Watkins keeping a close watch on Alton’s dangerous left flank.

Kelly and Lambert covered the central areal efforts and Hind was showing a growing confidence between the sticks.

Our passing to the front needed more accuracy meaning we couldn’t dent Alton’s defence. What crosses we did manage to put in were hammered clear by a no nonsense approach.

We almost got caught pushing up with 25 gone. Driscoll punted a ball into the area but Alton’s header cleared the area. A high ball over our backs and a runner went free to deliver a powerful angled shot. Hind’s diving save was top drawer.

A couple of minutes later though, Alton won a corner and a bit of laxity cost dear as we allowed the ball to drift over the area and drop nicely for a header to put Alton ahead. 0-1.

Danvers blocked a follow up attack on his flank and a mazy run gave space for a cross. Vint followed up squaring the ball back for Butler to hammer a shot just wide. A great counter.

Will Lambert’s clash with two minutes left of the half meant damaged ribs again and forcing him off. Sammy Glatzel substituted immediately.

Half Time 0-1

A typical Verwood start to the second half had squeaky bum time early. A ball given away mid field left a gap that Moses would have been proud of. Away galloped Alton’s forward line. Luckily Hind was on top form to force the runner wide. The shot was a narrow angled shot clipping the foot of the post and going into dead.

We then had to withstand a barrage. Glatzel headed a shot off the line and Danvers made an amazing block diving in front of another shot to chest the ball wide.

17 gone and we suffered as a cross dropped into the six yard box. Another touch of laxity was all that was needed for an unmarked player two feet off the line to head the simplest goal of his career to date. 0-2.

We fought back. Gajic had a bender go just wide of the upright and Dyer’s looping cross was watched over the bar by the keeper.

A minute later, Dyer left his marker for dead and whipped a daisy cutter into the area. Vint did the business. Rounding his marker Vint hammered an unstoppable low volley past the advancing keeper. 1-2. 16 minutes left.

Butler had ben shadowed closely but wriggled free of the shackles and tried a curling shot from the edge of the box. It cleared the bar by a couple of inches.

We added pressure. 23 minutes Driscoll made way for Hunt.

Alton’s energy levels upped. Closer marking in the middle of the park was evident. One tussle finished with the ball going wide right, Danvers had it covered and robbed the ball. Cutting inside Danvers found Vint on the edge of the box. A turn and terrific effort went just over the bar.

We went for broke and almost got caught when on 45+4 a high clearance from Alton’s backs dropped in space. Hind was out quickly to body block the shot.

The whistle went on a win for Alton 1-2. We played well with everyone putting in a shift. Missing was a defence ‘splitter’.

Result 1-2.