Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Bournemouth vs Verwood Town 30-Jul-19


We had a few missing boasted a big squad for this last friendly of the season.

Both ends shared activity in the opening spell with Evans bringing out a good stop by Poppies keeper and Rolfe turning a low shot wide that was heading for the bottom corner.

Poppies benefited from laxity in our defence with 12 minutes on the clock and picking up a stray ball rolled it gently into the net. 0-1.

Heggan used good feet to find Dyer. Dyer’s inch perfect cross found Nicolson. On to Evans but his run was halted by a block tackle and the ball cleared up field.

Taylor robbed a runner on the line and chipped inside for Glatzel to force his way through mid field. Dyer collected his through ball forcing a corner from a dipping shot on goal. The corner caused concern in the box but finally cleared by a size 12.

We allowed space on the edge of the box with 23 on the clock and suffered from 25 yarder into the bottom corner. 0-2.

We were playing decent football but the killer instinct in front of the sticks was missing until with 4 minutes left Diop Evans took a pass at feet from Davies and rounding his marker volleyed past the keeper to make it 1-2.

We lapsed concentration and on 45+1 allowed space for a chip from the edge of the box to sail over Rolfe into the top corner 1-3.

Lee Vint instantly replied and within a minute of the re start slammed the ball past the keeper 2-3.

Half Time 2-3

Wholesale changes at half time saw all the squad having game time.

Then we had a ‘Cowland’ cameo. Cowland's ballet school must be applauded for the skill imparted. A classic Billy Elliot Pirouette was performed on the edge of the Poppies box. The crowd in the stand stood as one to hand clap a great performance. Unfortunately the Referee held up the 0 card as his judgement.

Poppies fresh legs were eager but within five minutes Heggan and Dyer taught the lesson of possession and control. Excellent football followed and we should have gone ahead from a Dyer cross into the box finding Gray but we agonised as the ball flew over the bar.

Rutten went close and then a sharp response from Poppies had Thompson in action punching away a high ball into the area. 15 gone and Gray won the ball outside Poppies’ area. Turning his marker a cross found Stuttard, a low volley slammed into the side netting.

Ben Kelly then entered centre stage. A deep cross into the Poppies box and there was Kelly to climb high and power a header past the keeper 3-3.

3 minutes later Stuttard gave the keeper no chance with a rasping shot into the bottom corner. 4-3.

A few minutes later we were slack at the back and suffered by an angled shot whipping past Thompson to put Poppies ahead again. 4-4.

Joseph, Dyer and Davies left poppies midfield trailing with a great move but Davies run on goal was blocked by a defender who did well to force Davies wide for an angled shot that went wide.

In the final minutes we went close again with Kimber looping a shot over the bar but Poppies did what we couldn’t and scored with seconds left.

Result 4-5