Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Wareham Rangers vs Verwood Town 20-Jul-19


Deja Vu. 40 seconds had elapsed when a half shot squirmed past Thompson to roll into the bottom corner. Luckily the ref had spotted the Wareham centre forward coasting through our defence with the ball tucked under his arm. It was though a throw back to many instances last season when we remained in the dressing room whilst the opposition scored.

No lessons learned. Wareham whipped into shape and after 4 minutes broke through a token defence to score a good goal angled in from the corner of the box. 0-1.

Wareham took no prisoners strong tackles ensued with many testing the refs whistle. It was good for us as it shook off lethargy.

We settled. The versatile Dyer playing at right back won a tackle and a centrally drilled pass found Holmes. A good turn and chip cleared the way fro Gray to try a shot. The side netting was the recipient.

Stuttard was blocked outside the area and then Nicolson fired in a cross well taken by the keeper.

Wareham’s attacks were mainly down the flanks from long balls and well followed in. Dyer Glatzel and Maddocks were prominent in keeping Wareham’s forwards outside the area but what was delivered Thompson took care of.

On 20 minutes Maddocks turned his marker but chewed grass as his ankles were whipped from underneath him. The free kick dropped nicely for Hall but a half volley went wide.

We were having more of the ball now and we settled into playing some good football.

Taylor robbed a runner on his flank and good feet took him inside., A reverse pass found Nicolson clear on our left just oustside the area. Nicolson skinned a marker rounded another defender and cutting along the bye line slid the ball past the keeper to level scores 1-1.

Kimber worked through a ruck of players fighting and winning the ball and emerged to slip a pass across the box for Gray. No time wasted and the ball flew past the keeper to make it 2-1.

Kimber then put on a show of skill and determination to coast through mid field and volleyed past the advancing keeper to make it 3-1.

Not to be outdone, Gray dummied a defender and planted the ball past the keeper to give us a 4-1 lead

In the last minutes of the half Glatzel put a header over the bar and then Hall made space but shot wide.

Half Time 4-1

Our squad was a bit thin but we had a good bench and on came Alex Eaton and Sam Scott for Adam Holmes and Jack Stuttard. Stuttard resisted Adam Holmes insistence to do the line.

We continued where we left off with good possession but a sign of complacency. Wareham took advantage of the casual style and with only 10 minutes gone of the half had the ball in the net from a free kick and sloppy defending. 4-2.

Tackles got brisker but Wareham looked to be blowing a bit from the heat and pace of game.

15 minutes of the second half saw a sliding tackle take out Tayler. Adam Holmes went back on and linked up with the impressive Maddocks. Tackles continued to be brisk. 22 minutes another tackle gave us a free kick outside the area. Dyer floated a pin point ball into the box but Gray’s header was well taken by the keeper

We eased off pace and Wareham took the opportunity to push up. Thompson punched a long shot clear and Glatzel got in the way of a couple of shots denying Wareham a change to the score line.

29 minutes gone and Wareham botched a pass at the back. Stuttard bounced in and gave the score line a nap hand. 5-2.

7 minutes left and complacency set in again. Wareham won a penalty after a melee in the box comprising half clearances. Thompson had no chance with a well placed ball into the corer of the net. 5-3.

Result 5-3