Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Wimborne TOwn vs Verwood Town 11-Jul-19


Three down in 16 minutes meant Verwood Managers looking for very large corks.

In the first couple of minutes while we were still settling, Wimborne had had a shot blocked by Dyer and a follow up taken under the bar by Haigh.

Wimborne looked a lot sharper and more co ordinated as we spluttered.

We did have a couple of good counters, one of which was sparked by Dyer sending Gray away through the right hand side. His shot was safely gathered by the keeper.

On 7 minutes Kimber slipped the ball wide for Evans. A good cross found Davies but the resultant shot hit the side netting.

9 minutes gone and Maddocks won the ball on the right. His line ball was intercepted and a clinical attack finished with the ball in the back of the net from close in. 0-1.

12 minutes and we went two down allowing a runner to drift through a static middle. .. 0-2.

15 minutes a Diop Evans fight for the ball won him a run on goal. Defenders closed ranks but Evans’ put the ball wide for Davies. The shot was palmed out from under the bar.

A minute later Haigh had cleared his area from a Wimborne balloon clearance but the ball was intercepted and a deep cross was hammered into the net. 0-3.

Gajic, Kelly and Maddocks dug in. We were under pressure but coping better than we did at the start. Dyer and Kimber won a few tussles and with Eaton getting more into the game we looked as if we could reduce the score line.

Nicolson went close from an Evans cross and Davies hit the bar with a rasper from 20 yards.

30 minutes Maddocks and Nicolson worked the line and a cross to Gray gave an opening. Gray’s shot was just wide.

A minute later Kimber had been fouled and Dyer stepped up to take the free kick. A pinpoint chip found Gajic who made no mistake with a downward header past the keeper. 1-3.

Half Time 1-3.

Alex Eaton came off for Tyler Rutten to make a bow. Joe Kimber made way for Sam Glatzel.

We were still settling when the ball was whisked up field. An unmarked runner slipped the ball past Haigh. 1-4 and 46 minutes gone.

No heads dropped. A snap attack and Nathan Gray went free to make it 2-4. 47 minutes gone.

Wimborne pressed down the left. A shot from the edge of the box was well taken by Haigh. A roll out to Kelly and a ball wide left sent Davies into Wimbornes third. Evans connected with his cross but the ball went wide.

14 minutes and Evans slipped his marker and rifled a great goal to make it 3-4. Several changes were made with Laurent replacing Gray and Nicolson giving way for Lewis. Maddocks came off for Joseph to stretch his legs.

Wimborne picked up pace but we had settled and little was getting past a tighter defence and a very safe Haigh.

6 minutes to go. Both teams had had goalmouth incidents but it was Wimborne benefitting from a looping shot finding the top corner to make it 3-5. We went close on the whistle with Davies clipping the bar with the keeper beaten but had to settle for a Wimborne pair of hands taking the trophy.

Result 3-5.