Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Alton vs Verwood Town 13-Apr-19


Alton walked off with 3 points after an excellent game in which we played a major role in the entertainment.

It was a blistering start with Alton having most possession in the opening spell but yielding to Verwood’s fight back with Heggan sparkling in midfield and the back four of Head Glatzel Gajic and Kelly coping with a forceful Alton attack.

Eaton’s cross on 7 minutes found Hall, The keeper scrambled Hall’s volley. Vining caught the rebound but agonized as the keeper body blocked and scooped the ball away from danger. Alton’s pace on the counter was matched by Head and Glatzel cutting out flank raids down their left and mirrored on the right by Kelly and Gajic.

Vining was proving a thorn in the Alton defence and suffered a bruising tackle on the edge of the box. Two defenders tried to take the ball but Eaton stepped in and won the tussle. Eaton tried a shot but bodies blocked it and a big boot cleared the danger.

A pass back to the keeper in the Alton ranks followed Nicolson pressure but for some inexplicable reason play was waved on denying an opportunity for a crack at goal.

Davies had a couple of shots on target that were saved by the keeper and Nicolson blasted two shots from the edge of the box only to see Alton’s defensive numbers stand in the way of route to goal.

Then on 35 minutes Alton’s speed on the counter opened up a pathway and a low cross into the box was turned into the bottom corner 0-1.

Nicolson chipped the keeper a couple of minutes later only to see the ball hit the cross bar and bounce out. Davies followed in and slammed the ball just over the angle.

Half Time 0-1.

We suffered a lax start and 30 seconds into the half went 0-2 as we allowed a simple passing movement to go unchecked.

We picked up and were treated to one of the better footballing displays for quite some time. Alton contributed to the enjoyment with good accurate passing and movement but we edged the game creating several chances but not having the Alton’ finishing power.

67 minutes Matt Vining came off to give Nathan Gray a run.

Davies and Nicholson opened up Alton’s defence several times and the pressure paid off when Eaton was dropped in the box. Gajic stepped up to plant the ball past the keeper 1-2.

16 minutes left. Alton worked the ball through midfield but before getting a shot away Gajic stepped in and superbly won the ball sparking a counter through Head and Hall. Hall crossed for Heggan and Heggan’s chip created space for Nicolson to cut in and shoot. Again Alton’s defensive numbers did the business and the ball was cleared after hitting bodies.

A couple of minutes left and Gray rounded his marker to deliver a great shot for goal. Bodies again blocked the shot. A long clearance and we gave away a corner. One minute left and Alton made it 1-3.

We suffered a loss simply because we couldn’t stick the ball in the onion bag.

Result 1-3