Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Downton 30-Mar-19


Downton’s direct approach was a feature of the first half and almost immediately paid off with a run down the right with only 2 minutes gone and a runner lifting the ball high into the box. Bailey Middleton’s first game for the Club and first game in Wessex 1, started with a good catch taking the ball off heads.

Gajic and Johnston provided our central barrier and Dyer / Kelly closed the flanks against a very lively forward line.

Dyer took on the responsibility of curbing attacks down Downton’s left flank and several counter attacks were sparked between Dyer and Evans link. We should have capitalized on them but failed badly in front of the sticks. Crotty worked hard up front but we were woefully short of forwards on the day and Crotty looked like the Lone Ranger.

Downton’s pressure forced us to defend deep. Gajic and Johnston comfortably coped with aerial bombardments and Gajics awareness was superb halfway through the half clearing a shot off the line.

Minutes later an angled shot from the edge of the area was heading for the top corner but a flying Middleton managed to palm the ball out of the box. In it came again and this time Johnston soared above opposition to head clear.

Davies was giving Downton’s defence a troublesome time but on 33 minutes suffered a calf muscle problem and had to come off. We were lucky to have Elliot Head with us and the substitution meant a shuffle of positions with the versatile Head playing a link role. Eaton and Crotty were then given the task of spearheading our attack.

46 minutes and Kelly forced his way through to deliver a great cross to the far post. Evans headed down but the keeper saved at the foot of the post.

Half Time 0-0

Only a minute had elapsed when another launch landed on the edge of our box. A volley, 0-1.

We hit back straight away. Good football between Eaton Crotty and Hall split the Downton left flank a low cross flew into the packed six yard box. Hall caught it just right. The ball took a deflection to make it an OG and a score line of 1-1.

Downton’s edge in the first half was overshadowed by a much better Verwood in the second half.

A penalty claim was ignored when Eaton was dropped in the box. Hall then was floored as a couple of handbags were flourished. The problem was that they were lead lined. Johnston was fighting off a muscle strain but struggled on.

We still produced a better passing game than our opposition and Eaton had donned the mantle of provider from the right. One run and cut back from the line found Head and a superb shot took varnish off the post.

10 minutes left and an Evans lob dropped on he edge of the area for Crotty. A cute lob over the keeper and the ball nestled in the back of the net. High fives became negative as the linesman’s flag killed euphoria.

Heggan prodded and probed throughout the game and on 90 minutes had turned his marker in the box but was physically pushed over -- penalty – again nothing doing. We felt we had lost two points instead of gaining one.

Result 1-1