Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Petersfield Town vs Verwood Town 05-Jan-19


Our scoring ability suffered yet again against Petersfield. Despite having the major percentage of play we spluttered in front of the sticks.

Sam Chilman pulled up short in the warm up suffering from a hamstring problem. George Richardson substituted in an unfamiliar position as Adie Arnold re shuffled the line up before kick off.

We hadn’t settled when after just under three minutes a long ball from Petersfield defenders sailed over mid field and a runner went free to beat Tierney from close in. 0-1.

Petersfield continued with good football, pushing for another quick goal. Johnston headed clear a dangerous cross and then Tierney made a double save from a quick forward line.

We rallied. Joy stopped another attack with a header wide to Heggan. Heggan rounded his opposite number and whipped the ball wide to Davies. Davies’ cross hit the side netting.

On 17 minutes Heggan took the ball off toes and again used Davies on the left to make ground. A cut back found Dyer racing in. A sliding tackle took Dyers legs from underneath him before he got a shot away. Dyer’s free kick found Johnston but his powerful header sailed over the bar.

Nwokolu benefitted from a Dyer through ball but put his shot over the bar.

Tierney made a double save as Petersfield regained some possession but his next adventurous save finshed with him going to ground after suffering a studded boot on his foot. It was feared a broken bone was the culprit for him coming off. Fawcett quickly donned the gloves.

Davies and Dyer had shots saved towards the end of the first half and Fawcett proved his quality with a safe pair of hands on 45 minutes when he plucked a Petersfield swerving free kick out of the air.

Half Time 0-1.

Eaton came on at the re start for Nwokolu and Kimber made an entry replacing Richardson.

18 seconds only had elapsed when Gajic chipped a ball over mid field. Kimber’s electric heels left his marker but cruelly the ball hit the back of his hells and a thankful defender cleared the danger.

Kimber and Eaton then worked the ball through the middle finishing with Kimber being just edged off the ball before he could test the keeper.

The referee had to intervene with the keeper for time wasting even at this early stage in the half as we gained momentum.

Eaton and Cowland linked on the right and a deep Cowland cross was thumped out by the keeper. Eaton followed in and bit a low volley on target but the keeper saved on the line.

Half way through this second period Davies shot over the bar and then Kimber hit the side netting. It was a frustrating time but Petersfield defended in numbers. There was no pretty football just what was needed to clear their area.

Tempers frayed a bit and several unorthodox tackles were noted by the ref.

The pitch was slippy and helped Johnston receive a straight red. A long clearance out of Petersfield’s area was chased by a runner. Johnston slipped making the tackle taking the man down. The referee hadn’t got VAR so flourished a red.

We were down to ten men and still on top. We suffered frustration yet again, as we had to wait for Petersfield to find a match ball. 4 had been kicked out of the ground and the substitute ball booted on was partly deflated. Another ball was eventually kicked on.

The game finished on 90 + 5 with yet another clearance going out of the ground.

Result 0-1.