Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Folland Sports vs Verwood Town 22-Dec-18


Dyer’s cross found Gajic. A glancing header inched over the bar. It would have been an excellent start had it found the net with only three minutes on the clock.

Follands tested Tierney a few minutes later as both sides tried hard to grab an all important lead.

With 14 minutes gone Evans won a strong tackle and slipped the ball down the line to Cowland. A penetrating pass sent Vining free but a last ditch tackle took out Vining and the ball. A corner resulted. A half clearance reached Head. A ball inside the defenders gave a half chance to Gajic….. 1-0 as the ball flew past the keeper.

Davi9es forged a good partnership with Chilman on the left, and a series of breaks should have resulted in goals but we faced a good keeper and a very determined defence.

Davies had a shot palmed out of the area and then from 10 yards put the ball down the keeper’s throat. Gajic followed suit minutes later.

We were on top and should have edged in front.

Follands hit back with a FK floated into the area. A powerful header was tipped overt the bar by Tierney. The corner bobbed around but finally cleared by Joy.

With 5 minutes left, Chilman robbed his opponent and set up Davies for a run on goal. Out came the keeper but Davies hit a looping drive over him to notch our second of the game.

Half Time 2-0

We continued where we left off with Davies cutting in from the left and hitting a volley that the keeper found too hot to hold. Gajic followed in but hit the ball over the bar.

Then we slackened. It was inexplicable that we should ease off, allowing Follands enjoy possession. A move through the middle let in a runner. Head shadowed to the edge of the box and accidentally clipped the player’s heels. The penalty altered the score board to 2-1.

We looked as bit ragged for a while but had a few moments where we had opportunities but couldn’t put the ball past the keeper. Matt Vining came off on 64 minutes to give Morgan Cole a run

Gajic lost a one on one and Joy tried a 20 yarder that gently rolled into the keeper’s hands.

Tierney made a brilliant diving save from a breakaway as Follands went for a leveler.

72 minutes we allowed an attack to hit the box and poor covering gave space for a tap in to make it 2-2.

Tierney had to receive treatment for a brave save at feet as we defended in depth. Follands looked more up for a win than we did at this stage.

Cowland came off for Richardson on 76 minutes as the game took a turn for brisker tackles.

87 minutes and we opened up in the middle like a can of sardines. A runner sped away. Out came Tierney but the ball was blasted for goal from just outside the 6 yard box. We breathed a sigh of relief as the ball hit flew high and wide.

Chilman went down the left from the dead ball kick and delivered a terrific cross to the far post. No one got on the end of it so we finished with a dead ball kick.

90+1 Nwokolu came on for Davies. The game was a little bit frantic to the whistle but no further goals scored.

We were disappointed that we didn’t have the ability in this game to close the it down at 2-0 and no doubt Follands were disappointed at not grabbing a winner in the latter stages.

We both had to be satisfied with a point each.

Result 2-2