Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Alton 08-Dec-18


A minute gone and Tierney was tested with a quick cross and shot. A safe pair of hands stopped us going behind with the earliest goal of the season. We countered through Eaton and Nicholson. Nicholson cross was wayward finishing up in dead ball

3 minutes and it was a sign of things to come. A break on Alton's right a deep cross fell into the area and a low shot whistled past Tierney 0-1.

We looked shell shocked and lacking drive. Alton looked sharper and wanting to win. By comparison we weren't in the same category.

Cowland, trying left back spot did well to contain a right flank raid and a cross field pass set up Nicholson for a run on goal. Alton's defence was solid. Numbers dropped back and Nicholson found himself blocked out of the area.

We pushed up and forgot to get back. A long ball dropped nicely for a runner to coast through and score Alton's second. We looked ring rusty and second best.

Dyer worked the ball wide right on 23 minutes and Cowland hit a cross into the box. The keeper wasn't troubled, caught the ball on the edge of area and his long punt dropped into space for yet another runner to drift past a static defence to make it 0-3.

Guthrie almost pulled one back with 17 minutes left of the half. Picking up a Heggan through ball Guthrie rounded his marker and from a narrow angle hit a volley on target. A defenders boot cleared off the line.

32 minutes gone and we were all at sea. No defensive discipline and we suffered by another through ball on the right. A low cross…an unmarked forward … 0-4.

It was Christmas come early for Alton and they celebrated goal number 5 with a high ball into the box. A half challenge wasn't enough to stop a looping header zip over Tierney into the top corner.

Guthrie's shot with second's left of the half was blocked by the keepers legs and skidded out of the box.

Half Time 0-5

Sam Joy came on for Dean Evans on 49 minutes. Two minutes later Dyer came off for Cole.

We looked a bit sharper after the half time chat and on 54 minutes Guthrie carried a Head through ball past the keeper to reduce arrears. 1-5...

We then had a good spell without putting the ball in the net mainly because of good defending by Alton.

We dipped again. Our passing quality was dire. Alton didn't have to close us down or tackle we just passed the ball to them.

76 minutes another long ball tapped in made it 1-6 and on 82 minutes a cross wasn't covered and tapped in 1-7.

Danny Laurent came on for Richardson with 7 minutes of normal time left and soon bedded in in midfield.

Alton never stopped running and gave us a very sharp reminder of what wanting to win is all about.

Result 1-7