Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs AFC Stoneham 03-Nov-18


We needed to rectify last weeks dismal performance and what better challenge than to meet high flyers AFC Stoneham.

It was a quick start with football along the deck. Stoneham was first to attack delivering a raking cross into our box but Gajic had it covered and a solid header cleared the danger.

A second attack minutes later had Evans and Gajic covering Stoneham’s left flank with Gajic finishing a shadowing job running the ball into dead.

We hit back with a Guthrie Nicholson combination but good defending from Stoneham blocked Nicholson’s effort to cross from the edge of the box.

Tierney then produced a quality catch under the bar from a Stoneham corner. A good throw and Davies whipped down the line to cross deep into Stoneham’s area. Guthrie was inches away from connecting.

It was good football with both team’s evens in the middle of the park. Dyer and Richardson were exceptional in curbing a lively Stoneham.

22 minutes had Stoneham defending in numbers as they shuttled back from a Nicholson Cowland Richardson move finishing with a Richardson cross that Guthrie again was inches from converting.

Tougher tackling was a feature following our pressure. Cowland then Guthrie were floored. Guthrie’s plunge in the area was thought by many to warrant a penalty but the ref decided against it. A puzzle for many spectators.

In the last few minutes of the half Evans, Cowland and Guthrie split Stoneham’s defence finishing with Guthrie’s shot grazing the angle of bar and post.

Half Time 0-0

Joy won an early high ball and Kimber was exceptionally cool in chesting down a through ball to block another Stoneham attack.

Cowland found Richardson in space then a flick to Guthrie gave opportunity to run on to with 49 minutes gone. Guthrie slightly balked on his way into the area had to yield to a good keeper.

54 minutes and on came Alex Eaton for Mick Cowland. Eaton was in action immediately winning a tackle and knocking the ball back for Nicholson to drive just past the post.

Back came Stoneham. Tierney produced a great goal line save and then Kimber’s tackle just outside the box stopped another effort.

57 minutes and Nicholson’s exchange with Guthrie finished with Guthrie scoring a sensational ‘dipper’ over the keeper, 1-0.

We hadn’t settled when Stoneham drew level with a goal two minutes later. 1-1.

Heavier tackles featured for a while as both teams went for a winner. Gajic went into the book for an over zealous tackle and then Dyer was dropped on the half way line.

Dyer’s influence resumed minutes later with a winning tussle in the middle of the park and a slide rule pass wide to Nicholson. A cross followed, and Eaton shot just wide.

We breathed a sigh of relief as a cross shot from the edge of the box flashed past Tierney’s left hand post. But then it was Stoneham’s turn to have a slice of luck as Davies cut along the edge of the box and found a space to slam a right foot shot just over the angle.

It was a good game for both players and spectators with a bit of pride back in our stable for a fighting performance.

Result 1-1