Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Downton vs Verwood Town 20-Oct-18


Less than a minute had elapsed when Guthrie spotted Downton’s keeper off his line. An impertinent chip had the keeper back pedaling at a pace that would have graced an Olympic style sprint. Safe hands prevented us celebrating our quickest goal of the season.

Downton’s response was a long ball down their right testing Carkeet’s defensive qualities. Carkeet did well to block a cross and used Tierney to clear the danger.

Downton’s pace increased. Richardson and Heggan matched their opposite numbers making it an interesting competitive mid field. Gajic and Head in central defensive roles were well on top of their opposite numbers forcing more Downton play to the flanks.

We looked solid and with Evans and Carkeet having the better of challenges Downton’s threat tended to peter out on the edge of the box.

11 minutes gone and Evans, Richardson and Dyer worked the right of mid field and Dyers deep cross was diverted for a corner. Kimber collected the half clearance and delivered a good low shot on target that was blocked. We were enjoying most of the play at this stage with Dyer able to put the ball in the box on several occasions during the first 15 minutes.

Downton rallied. Tierney had to double fist a clearance from inside the 6 yard box as pressure mounted. Another shot, seconds later, was turned past the post by a Tierney save. The corner was monitored by Head and cleared from danger.

20 minutes to go of the half and Evans, Dyer and Heggan worked the ball down the right. Dyer slipped the ball to Guthrie and a sweeping volley was cleared from the foot of the post by the keeper’s foot giving us a corner. Dyer’s inswinger was caught nicely by Guthrie but his shot hit the bar and bounced clear. We were having a purple patch and able to maintain pressure. 35 minutes a Heggan through ball freed Guthrie. A run wide right and from from a narrow angle Guthrie hammered the ball past the keeper into the bottom corner. 1-0.

A minute to go and Kimber put a Guthrie through ball past the post. Davies then had a one on one but the keeper sprawled and blocked the effort as the whistle went for half time.

Half Time 1-0.

Within a minute of the re start Davies went clear and dropped a cross onto the spot. Kimber raced in but put the ball past the post.

5 minutes gone and Downton’s keeper rolled out the ball to a defender on the edge of the box. Guthrie’s anticipation was superb as he locked on to a pass back and slid the ball into the bottom corner. 2-0.

Downton’s response to going two down was admirable. They worked hard particularly in trying to crack the mid field. Richardson and Heggan though provided an impenetrable barrier pushing Downton back to the flanks.

There was no way through. Head and Gajic picked off any central raids and Tierney was always in command of anything than crept through.

64 minutes. Kimber left his marker on the edge of the box resulting in another defender taking him down. We made it 3-0 as Gajic blasted the ball past the keeper from the spot.

Kimber had another chance on 71 minutes but his rising shot was well held under the bar.

73 minutes we had a substitution with Elliott Head making way for Danny Laurent on a one for one. 2 minutes later Chas Heggan made way for Mick Cowland to make his comeback after injury.

Downton pushed forward. Laurent stooped to head a low cross out of the box and then used his size 12 to punt up field another cross.

The game lost a bit of steam with 5 minutes left but we had a last minute flurry with Cowland feeding Kimber in front of the sticks giving Kimber another opportunity to graze the cross bar.

Result 3-0.