Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Romsey Town 13-Oct-18


Five minutes into the game and a Guthrie ‘curler’ had the keeper beaten but went over the bar. Two minutes later Romsey countered with a long ball down their right, a runner, a good cross and the ball was turned into the net from the six yard box. 0-1.

The goal sparked Romsey. Tails up they were first in for the ball pegging us back. Guthrie, at times, looked like the Lone Ranger looking for Tonto.

We needed energy to compete but for some inexplicable reason couldn’t produce recent form.

10 minutes, a through ball split us at the back and the ball was in the net again from an unmarked runner. Luckily the flag fluttered and the ‘goal’ ruled offside.

We looked shaky and seven minutes gone Carkeet cleared off the line. Misplaced passes kept us under pressure. Evans, Joy, Head and Carkeet were over employed as Romsey pushed us further back.

Lynch pulled off a couple of good saves and on 30 min Lynch palmed down a shot which Carkeet cleared off the line.

5 minutes to go and a Romsey corner drifted over a packed central area in the box for a header to skip low into the bottom corner. 0-2.

Half Time 0-2

The cliché ‘A game of two halves’ came into being as we picked up pace producing some good football.

47 minutes was a ‘total football’ move. Kimber on to Guthrie. A dink wide right and a Nicolson cross flashed across the face of goal. No one was near enough to convert.

Carkeet’s yellow on 51 minutes was indicative of a greater desire for the ball. Joy and Head looked solid in the central pairing whilst Evans regained his usual commanding presence.

Carkeet overlapped on the left and a good low cross found Nicolson. A low shot from just inside the box went wide.

Two minutes later Gajic tried a volley from just inside the box. Again, over the bar.

On 60 minutes Evans whipped the ball off toes and made ground down the right. A great cross and up went Gajic with the keeper. The ball spilled, in swept Guthrie to hammer the ball into the net. The referee spoiled celebrations by disallowing the goal and giving a free kick against Gajic.

64 minutes Eaton came on for Nicolson and was soon busy working alongside Heggan. Heggan’s ball wide and behind the full back gave Eaton a run. A cut back from the line and a Kimber shot went wide.

Guthrie was now in the mix and a volley on target was blocked in the box. A high clearance was collected by Joy. A cross back into the area found Gajic. His header went over the angle.

Romsey were defending well and dangerous on the counter. Head intercepted a long ball intended for runners and turned the defence into a sharp counter using Davies on the left. Davies skipped inside and tried a shot from the edge of the box but hit bodies. Heggan followed up but was upended before getting a shot in.

11 minutes to go and Kimber found Davies with a raking ball wide left. A cross dropped into the 6 yard box. A half clearance gave us a corner. Guthrie’s inswinger was punched out for another corner. Davies dropped this one almost on the line. A size 14 boot clearance would have made NASA proud.

10 minutes left and Heggan made way for Cowland. We pushed forward again. Cowland on to Kimber on to Guthrie and a dipping shot was headed clear.

We stayed on top to the end of the 90 minutes but couldn’t alter the score line.

Result 0-2.